Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,646   Posts: 1,481,268   Online: 712

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Diapositivo: I did it all myself, without any tutoring. I've merely been reading and watching YouTube videos on printing. Of course I'm not proficient yet and still feeling my way around. I chose a negative; sized and focused it on the easel using a #2 filter; used scrap cardboard to expose the paper at 4-second intervals; developed the paper; chose the best exposure time and changed to a #1 filter for less contrast in this case. Then going back to the enlarger, I exposed a full sheet of paper for the chosen time and developed it. Success! I haven't tried dodging and burning yet.

Bill: The house in which I've set up my darkroom is a house directly across the street from ours, in terrible condition. The lady who lived there grew up in the house, and her son and sister both live many states away -- too far to have any interest in the property. They sold the house to us a few years ago when the lady died of emphysema, only in her fifties: animal rescue had to be summoned because she had something like thirty cats and dogs in the house and she wasn't a good caretaker of them. The hardwood floors were nasty and scratched, the ductwork grilles were corroded from urine, etc. - you get the picture. We've cleaned the floors somewhat and primed the walls, which has reduced the odor in the house greatly but it still needs lots of work.
    website | Flickr
    "Embrace the negative with absolution, your final positive reward." --IQ, "The Province," Frequency

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Just a quick note from Yours Truly to say that it's been a year since I became a full-on subscriber to APUG, and so I've officially gotten rid of the unwieldly nickname here and have made this, a new account with my real name. (I tried merely put in a request to change names a few months ago, but never got a suitable response.) So this will be my account from now on. I just wanted to make a note of it for people who know me here, including people from whom I've bought film and gear, so I don't seem like a whole new person!

While I'm at it, I might as well attempt to define where I'm going in my photography this coming year. It is exceedingly difficult since it is so convenient and I'm loving my new Minolta X-570, but I'm trying to wean myself away from shooting so much 35mm, and shoot more medium and large format. I'm soon paying off some medical debt from a kidney stone problem I had earlier this year, and so I'll be in the market soon for a modern 250mm+ large format lens. A friend is St. Louis has been trying to tempt me with an 8x10 camera he saw on Craigslist up there, but I'm trying to convince myself that my two 4x5 cameras (a Crown Graphic and a Calumet 540 monorail) are enough, that 4x5 is a sweet spot and I don't need to get anything larger! I'll be also concentrating on my printing skills. I haven't done nearly enough printing so far, just a couple of small sessions in the latter part of this year.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Terry, did my wife tell you to keep the 8x10 secret from me? I thought I told you that I was in the market for a reasonably priced one for contact printing and wet plate work. Must be the voices in my head again. We need to hook up and do some winter shooting when we finally get some snow to stick.

Now you just have to work on getting your post count up again
    Thy heart -- thy heart! -- I wake and sigh,
    And sleep to dream till day
    Of the truth that gold can never buy
    Of the bawbles that it may.

www.silverhalidephotography.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Joel, I'll get you the link to that 8x10. :-). I think I still have it saved at home.

I won't be having my jaw surgery after all. Long story short, my birth defect is such that the only surgery that would do me any good, my oral surgeon found, would be possible but extensive too impractical at my age, requiring a bone graft and other such tricks. And even then it would risk the functionality I already have. So we agreed leaving well enough alone was the most reasonable option. And that means less stress and more money for me, so I'm not too disappointed!

And I'm loving my X-570. It could be my favorite manual-focus 35mm camera now. I've also just bought online a Unicolor roller base and some tubes so I can make a "poor man's JOBO and process reels and 4x5 with it. It should be really sweet.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin