Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,770   Posts: 1,484,237   Online: 1085

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

A belated introduction from Memphis

Hello, guys and gals --
    Ever since I started posting on APUG and also eventually made the leap into joining, I've been meaning to post an introduction. Of course procrastination got the better of me and I never did! I just looked at my stats and saw that I made my account a year ago this month, so it's about bloody time I introduced myself, right?

I live in Memphis and grew up not far away in rural eastern Arkansas, still in the Mississippi River delta. As a child I had an Argus 110 camera and later a Polaroid One-Step: my father believed that Polaroids were cheaper because of not having to have the shots processed. Needless to say I still hate Polaroid to this day.

It wasn't until late 2008, after having a (my first?) mid-life crisis that I at first decided to quit my job and go back to college. I wanted something lucrative so as to not waste my time. My husband suggested graphic design, but I've never been able to draw. A friend mentioned that I nevertheless had an artistic eye -- and that got me thinking about photography. People close to me then reminded me how much I'd always loved taking photos. Faced with a terrible bureaucracy that stifled my attempt to re-enter college, I decided to keep my job so I'd have health insurance and money to buy gear, and to teach myself photography. My husband helped me buy my first "good" camera, a Nikon D80 DSLR.

The instant feedback of digital helped me master the basics of photographic theory, but I still felt that I needed to learn film, since darkroom is still an indispensable part of a photographic curriculum. I started buying up film bodies and then developing supplies, and taught myself to develop film, both B&W and C-41. I now enjoy both film and digital, and see them as both being good for different purposes. Digital is good for when I need to get "the shot," and for intricate lighting setups, but it doesn't even come close to film for when I simply want to be creative Film gives me an artistic satisfaction I can't get anywhere else. I've already subscribed and unsubscribed to several different photographic magazines already because they're digital-centric. I shoot every format, from 35mm to medium format to 4x5. So far medium format is my favorite because the larger negative size and the convenience of rollfilm, although my Crown Graphic is begging me for more exercise. My favorite medium-format camera is my Mamiya 645 Pro.

Now, nearly three years after my big jump into photography, I've just acquired two enlargers (Omega D2 and a Beseler 45MCRX) and still need more accessories for both, but I'm close to getting all the supplies I need to start the next phase of my photographic education: printing!

Thanks to everyone on APUG for selling me stuff through the Classifieds (I'm no stranger to GAS), and for providing me with so much good information about everything having to do with photography. Thanks to Sean and APUG itself for being here. I'm glad to be part of it.

Regards,
    Terry E. Christian
    Memphis, Tennessee
    website | Flickr
    "Embrace the negative with absolution, your final positive reward." --IQ, "The Province," Frequency

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Terry - welcome to APUG.

Sorry I'm so late with the welcome .

Thanks for the background - I always find that it enriches my APUG experience when others share.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hello Terry and a warm welcome to APUG! Better late then never!

Jeff

Shooter
    35mm
    Terry, your picture wouldn't suggest you might have a husband. Not in Tennessee, that is.
    Fabrizio Ruggeri fine art photography site: http://fabrizio-ruggeri.artistwebsites.com
    Stock images at Imagebroker: http://www.imagebroker.com/#/search/ib_fbr

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Welcome Terry to the ranks of subscribers, but I'm confused by your post, your avatar is a picture of a men with a beard and I always assumed in your previous posts you are a male yet you write about your husband, would you please clarify the matter
    Ben

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    benjiboy: My avatar is indeed a self-portrait. I wanted this intro to be about my photography and only about my personal life only insofar as it is relevant, so I was attempting to downplay the fact that I'm gay. I assume you have those in the UK as well.

Diapositivo: [nods] We've been together for eighteen years come this summer. For our fifteenth anniversary a couple years ago, on the way to a camping vacation in Wisconsin we made a slight detour west to Iowa and got legally married.

Now about my photography...!
    website | Flickr
    "Embrace the negative with absolution, your final positive reward." --IQ, "The Province," Frequency

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'm sorry Terry,you must think me very naive I hope I caused no offence, congratulations on your marriage, we certainly have gay people in the UK, at the moment the law only allows Civil Partnerships not full marriage, but society is becoming much more tolerant, gay couples with long term relationships who are in Civil Partnerships now are able to adopt children , it's only a matter of time before they will able to legally marry.
    Ben

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Happy Almost First APUG Anniversary, Terry.

And Welcome Home !

Ron

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Absolutely no offense taken, Benji. Things are rather spotty here: Tennessee and most other states don't recognize our Iowa marriage -- guess it's another sort of reciprocity failure! The answer, of course, is more exposure.

Temperatures are hot here, regularly reaching 100F during the summer, so I'm shooting on the weekends when I can, until we go again to Wisconsin next month; it's generally quite a bit cooler and less humid there.
    website | Flickr

Shooter
    35mm
    Dah, one never stops learning.

There was an attempt to some kind of civil union during the last legislature in Italy, but it was written by two idiots, and the parliamentary majority itself sent it back to the Government to be written with the brain turned on. Then the Government fell, new elections were held, and this clown* was re-elected.

Fabrizio

* (Silvio Berlusconi, in case you missed the last 17 years of Italian affairs).
    Fabrizio Ruggeri fine art photography site: http://fabrizio-ruggeri.artistwebsites.com
    Stock images at Imagebroker: http://www.imagebroker.com/#/search/ib_fbr

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin