Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,010   Posts: 1,524,640   Online: 964

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Hello from Port Elizabeth, South Africa

Hello, I am a retired photographer & photo lab owner. I started off in the 60's with a Graflex 4x5 and worked my way through the Hasselblad's, a Mamiya twin lens and RB67, then as film quality improved went onto Nikon 35mm. I did all my own processing starting with black & white then AgfaColor: 7 baths if I remember correctly. Progressed through to Kodak RC37 then Kodak RC74 and finally just 2 baths to make prints. First films were of course C22 then C41. Slide was E2,to E6, with Agfachrome thrown in for good measure. These were initially done in a Colenta One Shot processor until we became automated with dip & dunk and continuous processors. I ultimately ended up owning 5 labs, one of which was a ProLab catering for professionals.

I retired before digital took over, although I do dabble a bit with it. Amazing when I think back to waiting 35 min to see a print (still wet) when I first started. Now it is instantaneous.

I made many friends at Kodak South Africa, many of whom came here from the USA. All wonderful gentleman. I sure do miss those days.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hello Basil, Welcome to APUG! We're glad to have you here!
    Rachelle

My favorite thing is to go where I've never been. D. Arbus

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hi, Basil, Welcome to APUG. Glad to have you here.

I remember PE with great fondness having spent time there in '75, '87 and several more visits in the '90's and 200-07. One of my best sunrise photos was taken on the road to Uitenhage in 1975. Miss those days, for sure.

Paul

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi Basil, and welcome to APUG.

Good to see another South African here.

Ricus

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Welcome Home Basil !

Ron

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hello and a warm welcome to APUG! Looks like you got plenty of experience!

Jeff

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Welcome to APUG!

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Basil - hello and welcome to APUG!
    gene LaFord

Long live Ed "Big Daddy" Roth!!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    "I don't care about Milwaukee or Chicago." - Yvon LeBlanc

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    In 1995 I was backpacking SA and on my meandering way from Bloemfontein south, my Nikon F was stolen while I had a catnap on a combi bus.

I picked up a used camera from a store in PE (an Olympus RF) and it lasted the rest of my trip and few years after that.

I wonder if it was one of your stores if that was what the lab was attached to? I recall it was within walking distance to the museum by the beach. From PE I went to J Bay, then Tsitsikamma and the Garden Route. Awesome trip.

Shooter
    35mm

Thank you

Thank you to all of you for your kind words of welcome. Aristophanes, mine were only labs, no camera sales except for the disposables. I know exactly which store you are talking about though... not there anymore.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin