Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,699   Posts: 1,482,581   Online: 864

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Newbie

Shooter
    35mm

Hello Everyone!

Im Aezran, all the way from Malaysia!

From start was playing digital photography and has spent quite a resonable amount on the digital kit that i have. Halfway getting good at it, was introduced to a bunch of people that went to film 100% (mind you in Malaysia, 135, 120 and 220 is a extint and unpopular way of taking pictures due to the fact that most camera shops has 'modernized' themselves and the selected few charge film users too high on processing and provide us with VERY VERY little knowledge and understanding of film photography, some even think its a hassle!) So few of them from the group introduced to me this website.

But anyways, to cut it short, I WAS INSTANTLY HOOKED! I started doing research online, spent a small amount on stocking expired films, and my first film toy camera (Gakkenflex TLR). It was a satisfiying experience but after a few rolls, interesting results and mixed comments from my family members, I was again thirsty to understand more on the technicality and actual way of film photography, so back to the drawing board in search for the ultimate SLR. it took me months of studiying and saving up cash (cause im still a uni student), ended up getting a good deal on a (both black) Canon ae-1 + 50mm f1.4 and Nikon FM2N + 50mm f1.8, for only less than 400USD plus shipping, AWESOME! To make it more awesome while waiting for both cameras to come our from servicing, i was offered a FM3A + 35-70 f3.5 (black body) from a very very old uncle that offered me excellent advise and the camera for less than 200USD, Talk about luck!

Im still learing all the standard and basic knowldge of film, its really a dying art that hopefully once im able to master it, will pass it to others around me. Currently encouraging my sister and girlfriend to follow the proper way of taking pictures!

Im thirsty for knowledge and i hope that im able to gain more understanding from you guys as being more senior members, always open to comments and crticism, not a problem!

Thinking by end of the year to sell my digital kit (EOS 40D + 1000D + 85mm f1.8 + 70-200 f4 + 50mm f1.8 + 580exII) to fund me and start my own darkroom at home, but its still just a thought, need to study more before committingit 100%.

This website will be a very good source, i hope to use it fully as a point of reference + knowledge, Cheers!~

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Welcome Home Aezran !

Ron

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks Ron!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hello Aezran and a warm welcome to APUG! You might check out more MF cameras like the RB67.

Jeff

Shooter
    35mm
    Hi Jeff! the RB67 is a really fantastic camera, i have some of local friends using it too! and when they put side by side with a full frame digital camera, the mamiya wins in terms of overall quality, interesting huh? even seen in some forums that the RB in film is 5 times better than a digital unit. As we are chatting here, i do have a old friend (the same uncle that sold me off the FM3A) also offering to me his own RB67 (including 90mm lens and film back) for the same price of the FM3A! but in terms of maintaining it, i dont think i can afford, its really really expensive.. and as a uni student, cant addord but will see how! now set to really understand the limits and capabilities of the FM3A!

Shooter
    35mm
    Welcome.

If I were you, I wouldn't disperse money across different 35mm system. To begin with, two bodies of the same system are fine and the rest of the money I would spend in lenses, tripod, light meter, darkroom equipment etc.

I also would never sell the digital gear to fund the darkroom. Digital gear loses commercial value so fast, you'll get very little money but you will lose an "utility" which is much more than the money you would get. Digital is useful and I see it as a complement to analogue photography.

Besides the practice of photography in general, I would suggest you have a look into developing your films at home. It's a skill that is not just very rewarding, but it also let you save a lot of money and typically allows you to get better quality than a commercial laboratory, after a bit of practice. That would also be a natural step to be completed before setting up a darkroom (although one can certainly have the film developed by a laboratory, and then print himself). Don't be deterred by those who say that colour developing is difficult. I begun with E-6 (slides) and after a few horrible mistakes I can now define myself an "experienced" developer . I'm now looking at C-41 development (colour negative).

Best wishes
    Fabrizio
    Fabrizio Ruggeri fine art photography site: http://fabrizio-ruggeri.artistwebsites.com
    Stock images at Imagebroker: http://www.imagebroker.com/#/search/ib_fbr

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Welcome to APUG!
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Welcome to APUG. Instead of selling the Canon lenses, you might buy an EOS 3 or other Canon film body so that you can use the lenses you already have.
    Charles Hohenstein

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Chazzy View Post
    Welcome to APUG. Instead of selling the Canon lenses, you might buy an EOS 3 or other Canon film body so that you can use the lenses you already have.
    Ahem, the OP has a Canon AE-1 with a 50mm which I suppose has the Canon FD mount, not the Canon EF mount.
    Fabrizio Ruggeri fine art photography site: http://fabrizio-ruggeri.artistwebsites.com
    Stock images at Imagebroker: http://www.imagebroker.com/#/search/ib_fbr

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'd say stick to two bodies (for color and BW) and sell the rest to fund different lenses. A nice kit would be 24mm/50mm(macro preferably) and a 105mm something for the portraits. And don't sell the digital gear, I learned that the hard way. I'd get the RB67 instead of the FM3A. It's nice to have 35mm and 120 at your disposal. Oh, and develop your own BW film.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin