Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,338   Posts: 1,537,671   Online: 981

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

New Guy From Alaska!

Hey, all!

I just registered here at APUG, and am excited to be here.

I live on an island in southeast Alaska, and was a serious student of photography many years ago. For years, I have wanted to pick up my camera, rebuild my darkroom, and pick up where I left off. The creative fire that I thought had burned out in my twenties has apparently smoldered all this time, and I don't think I could *not* start working again on my photography if I wanted to.

My view camera left my possession years ago, but my trusty old Nikon F2 has been patiently waiting for me to use it. I still have much of the old darkroom equipment that has followed me around over the years, and added several pallets of surplus equpment recently to my collection. I am only weeks away from completing the plumbing and construction for my darkroom. I hope to pick up studio lights, backdrops, and other such equipment this winter.

My interests in photography are pretty broad. In the past, I did a fair amount of scenic and wildlife photography, still life work, people shots, experimental work, and good ol' artsy-fartsy studies in light, shadow, texture, and composition. I am mostly self-taught, though I've taken classes at the University of Alaska, Fairbanks, attended workshops for a few months at Visual Studies Workshops in Rochester, New York, and attended workshops with Bruce Barnbaum in Phoenix, Arizona. I count among my influences Ansel Adams, Edward Weston, Brett Weston, Minor White, Robert Farber, Imogen Cunningham, W Eugene Smith, Wynn Bullock, Harry Callahan, and Jerry Uelsmann. I am looking forward to discussing more recent photographers and their works.

I plan to teach myself figure photography this winter, with both existing light and with artifical light (I am *totally* uneducated as far as studio lighting is concerned). I have been out of the loop for a while, and need to get up to speed with current films, papers, and chemistry. I welcome the advice of the members here, and will return the favor as my competence level rises.

I guess that's about all I have for tonight. Talk to you soon, I hope!

Mike Gates
    Ketchikan, Alaska

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi Mike, welcome. I'm sure you'll feel right at home here. I'm still very new here and love the company, expertise and friendship! Beware, can become addictive!!!
    Kind regards from West Australia
    Nicole

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Welcome! As Nicole has said, you will become addicted and the glow of a monitor will warm you this winter as you keep abreast of this unique community.
    Non Digital Diva

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Hi Mike,welcome aboard.Lived in the great land of Alaska for a short time myself.looking forward to seeing images of the Island.

Jim
    "An object never performs the same function as its name or its image"-Rene Magritte

"An image of a dog does not bite"-William James applied to photography

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi Mike,

Welcome! It's exciting getting a darkroom built. I finished mine almost two years ago, an am so glad I made the decsion to return to b/w printing. I had, like you, been out of the loop for almost twenty years! You'll find it's like riding a bike. It'll just come back to you! You'll also find that used gear is abundant out there, so you shouldn't have any problems with acquiring large and/or medium format equipment! I love those old trusty cameras. I still have the Nikkormat my dad gave me in high school! Looking forward to seeing your posts in the galleries.

Cheers,
    Suzanne

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Welcome Mike!!
    I, too am looking forward to seeing pictures of your island! It sounds like you've refound an old love! It's exciting!
    Looking forward to your posts!
    Jeanette
    Jeanette
    .................................................. ................
    Isaiah 25:1

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Welcome!

joe

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeGates
    Hey, all!
    My interests in photography are pretty broad....
    Mike Gates
    Ketchikan, Alaska
    Welcome, Mike. I have a couple of friends in Valdez - not too close, as far as I can see.

{ - something snaps internally - }
    I like taking photographs of pretty Broads, too! :rolleyes:
    Carpe erratum!!

Ed Sukach, FFP.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Welcome from the marshes of Maryland. I worked in Alaska for a few months in 1955. We were running power lines up toward the "DEW" line I think. We were working maybe 100 miles north of Fairbanks. Beautiful wild country and very photogenic. I have a Coast Guard acquaintance, a Captain of a 240 footer out of Kodiak. Please post images.
    I love the smell of fixer in the morning. It smells like...creativity!
    Truly, dr bob.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Hi Mike,

Welcome from another island; the island of Oahu. Looking forward to seeing some of your images of Alaska.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin