Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,965   Posts: 1,523,317   Online: 1195

Wickford,Rhode Island, US (suburban/rural)
    Shooter
    35mm

New Englander coming aboard

Hello to all and thanks for the help already given to me in dealing with dust problems in my aged inherited equipment.
    I've been casting about for my third career and I'm thinking photography's it. It's been an on-and-off hobby since just after college, I had a couple of prints bought by a small magazine some years back, and when I've traveled to certain places--the Southwest US, Yosemite Valley, Israel--my juices just seem to get flowing and I'm busy for months or years afterward trying to find placements for my favorites.
    I'm a software applications developer by trade--very sick of it--and very happy to be working non-digital photography. My daughter--only child--is self-supporting now, and I'm able (for the present) to support myself working 3 days a week, and devote the rest of the time to photography. I have lots to learn and very little equipment to start with, though I've been able to put together a functioning darkroom in the second bathroom.
    Currently I'm enrolled at a continuing ed course in B/W photography at the Rhode Island School of Design, which has a serious history in the field as Aaron Siskind was on their faculty for a number of years.
    That's about it. I look forward to meeting everyone sometime or other. Thanks to all for help already sent my way.
    Regards,
    Chaim

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Welcome from another New Englander! You have a great resource in RISD! And I think you are lucky to have so much time. Rhode Island has great light, so I'm looking forward to seeing your posts in the galleries.

Cheers,
    Suzanne

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Welcome from Hawaii. I too am an software developer by trade, and sick of it as well. I hope you enjoy the break being here gives, and I am looking forward to seeing some of your work in the gallery.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    hey chaim

good to see you here.
    i am a fellow rhode islander also - on occupastuxet cove ( near hoxie 4-corners in warwick).
    hope to see some of your work in the gallery, or in person at one of the regional apug events!

- john
    Last edited by jnanian; 10-14-2004 at 09:30 AM. Click to view previous post history.

lee
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Aaron Siskind was on their faculty for a number of years.

So was Harry Callahan. If fact, it is said that if you saw Harry you would also see Aaron. That must have been nice.

lee\c

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Welcome from yet another New Englander. I'm up in Springfield. Keep an eye on the New Engalnd APUG forum.
    It may be too short of a notice, but a few of us are going to the Quabbin Reservoir this Sat (Oct 16) for a photo outing. I am hoping for many more get together opportunities in the future. And I hope to see some of your work.

gene
    gene LaFord

Long live Ed "Big Daddy" Roth!!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    "I don't care about Milwaukee or Chicago." - Yvon LeBlanc

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well, Chaim, I am not a New Englander, but I also welcome you!!
    This is a great place to be! I look forward to seeing your work in the galleries!
    Jeanette
    Jeanette
    .................................................. ................
    Isaiah 25:1

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Welcome from a member from Massachusetts.

Shalom,
    Eric
    Shalom my friends.

Eric Redard.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin