Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 74,448   Posts: 1,643,474   Online: 1086

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    98º 28' 34" W 33º 13' 31" N 386m ( Texas )
    Shooter
    Multi Format

Hi from Loving Texas

I joined APUG a while back, well, two years ago, but this is my first post here. The reason for not being an active contributor is simple, work. ( and money for photography ) I also bit the evil digital apple, suffered for it with high noise and crappy resolution, knowing all the time that film was and still is always better.

My start in photography was in the 1970's doing B&W and color with completely manual cameras, which taught me that the photographer needs to be in control. A TTL meter or chip in a camera has no clue about photography.

Even with my venture into digital, I got a camera for snaps years ago and I waited for imager technology to yield a film like sensor, every pixel needs to record the full spectrum. ( Bayer masked imagers aren't worth considering ) I eventually found an imager that met my requirements with Sigma's SD14 dSLR which does a great, well sorta good, job for some photography, but film still has it's advantages. To preserve my lens investment, I purchased a Sigma SA9 fSLR.

Film equipment wise, I'm still lacking. I need a medium format and a 4x5 View camera, plus I also need to put together my wet dark room, and purchase the tools for film scanning to achieve a hybrid image processing flow.
    Cameras: Mamiya RB67 Pro SD fSLR, Sigma SD-14 dSLR & SA-9 fSLR, Voigtländer Bessa, Konica BigMini 302 ( Yup, I Shoot Film )
    Lenses: Mamiya K/L 65mm, C 150mm SF, Sigma 28mm, 18-50mm, 28-80mm, 70-300mm, Orion 1250mm Maksutov-Cassegrain, & DIY f/176 Pinhole
    My Photography

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hello and a warm welcome to APUG! It will take time to get your stuff for photography!

Jeff

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Welcome Back, And Welcome Home Steaphany !

Ron

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    yes welcome. ah... another Sigma user. Wish I had the $ for the SD1.... the new Fuji sensor shows promise by being semi-Bayer and on a slant... and then there's the Betterlight scan back which measures at every pixel (if you can live with it)

Bill
    Bill

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Welcome!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Happy to have you here!
    Rick Allen
    Argentum aevum

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hello and welcome to APUG!
    gene LaFord

Long live Ed "Big Daddy" Roth!!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    "I don't care about Milwaukee or Chicago." - Yvon LeBlanc

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by williamtheis View Post
    Wish I had the $ for the SD1
    I briefly thought about the SD1, but I wonder if the image results are really worth the price, especially when you consider that shooting with FUJICHROME PROVIA 100F with a 35mm format camera yields an image equivalent to a 34.5 megapixel full frame digital imager with an average resolution of 100 LP/mm.

For a good measure where digital imagers stack up to film, just calculate the LP/mm from the spec's of the chips. The Sigma SD1's Foveon imager has 4704 pixels across 23.5mm. Since a digital imager needs 2 pixels to maximally resolve line pairs, the calculation is 4704 pixels ÷ 2 ÷ 23.5mm for 104.5 LP/mm. This is great for digital, reasonable for film, but it's not even a full 35mm frame. Remember, the SD1 will still be prone to dust on the sensor, noise at low light levels, and Sigma is asking $6,899.

I picked up my SA-9 on ebay with two kit zoom lenses that were originally bundled with it for just $35. ( I got my SD-14 body new from B&H Photo in 2008 for $799. )

I haven't bothered to compare features of the SA-9 against the SD1, but with my SD14, apart from film versus the Foveon imager technology, they are very close to being identical cameras.
    Last edited by Steaphany; 09-11-2011 at 01:44 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    Cameras: Mamiya RB67 Pro SD fSLR, Sigma SD-14 dSLR & SA-9 fSLR, Voigtländer Bessa, Konica BigMini 302 ( Yup, I Shoot Film )
    Lenses: Mamiya K/L 65mm, C 150mm SF, Sigma 28mm, 18-50mm, 28-80mm, 70-300mm, Orion 1250mm Maksutov-Cassegrain, & DIY f/176 Pinhole
    My Photography

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Time To suggest A Visit To DPUG !!!

Ron

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by M.A.Longmore View Post
    Time To suggest A Visit To DPUG !!!
    Never, Analog is the way to go !
    My Photography

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin