Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,766   Posts: 1,516,412   Online: 973

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm RF

New kid on the block.

Hi guys,

I'm 19 years old and I have been into film photography for 10 years. My weapons of choice are my Konica Auto S3 and Minolta X-700. Yes, I strictly shoot 35mm only.
    I have been doing color photography all my life because of this one philosophy:
    Why shoot in BW when the world is filled with colors?
    But lately, I am starting to understand the beauty of BW photography. I already ordered 10 rolls of BW film and I can't wait to start shooting.

I usually mail my rolls of film to get them processed (C-41). And since I want to process my own BW films, I decided to make this account on APUG because I figured that I would need the most help I can get.
    Now, it's time to do some apug/google research.

Thanks guys,
    DB
    Last edited by Dialectic10; 09-11-2011 at 01:35 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Welcome Home DB !

We'll get along quite well, I'm a Minolta Maniac !

Ron

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Welcome aboard D10. I am sure that you will find APUG to be an absolutely invaluable resource. This forum is populated with a lot of knowledgable, generous and enthusiastic film enthusiasts. I would venture to say, in fact, that many of the folks here have probably forgotten more about the analog medium than I have learned!
    It is encouraging to see another of the "younger generation" interested in the traditional medium. I have done my own small part, providing cameras (Nikon F2s, an F3 and, more recently, an F4 (the only Nikon I never really warmed to), as well as an assortment of lenses, to three of my nephews and a neice. The results have been gratifying (if somewhat odd): My oldest nephew is a dedicated and exclusive E100G enthusiast; his younger brother shoots only C41 and PanF; nephew number three (chronologically-speaking) shoots only C41; and my neice, the "Queen of Photoshop" shoots digital color but shoots all her black and white work on Tri-X.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Welcome to APUG.
    Charles Hohenstein

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Welcome to APUG!

The X-700 has an accurate shutter so it will be good to use that camera for any "tests".

As you read threads getting into nuances of exposure, keep in mind you can overexpose black and white film by 4 stops and still get good pictures (but you can only underexpose a little).

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Welcome to the forum, DB.
    Thank you.
    CWalrath
    APUG BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE
    DE Darkroom

"Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee." - The Yeti

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Welcome to the fun times!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hello and a warm welcome to APUG! I have a Konica Auto S2 which I enjoy using.

Jeff

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    DB - hello and welcome to APUG from western Massachusetts.
    gene LaFord

Long live Ed "Big Daddy" Roth!!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    "I don't care about Milwaukee or Chicago." - Yvon LeBlanc

ROL
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Dialectic10 View Post
    Why shoot in BW when the world is filled with colors?
    DB
    Because photography is literally "writing with light", and monochrome is the purest expression of light. Color is often a distraction to composition and form. Color can be a crutch in compositional aesthetics, but B/W forces a true evaluation of light and form. It is a conundrum that beginning academic lab photography is normally B/W, while color is often the domain of advanced photography – fine art monochrome requires rigorous technique and compositional execution.

Monochrome allows the viewer to construct a world of their own colors base on light intensity, contrast and form rather than dictating the hues of the scene. I often use an old analogy (thank you Paul Harvey): When the young boy was asked why he preferred radio over television, he exclaimed "because the pictures are better".

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin