Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,767   Posts: 1,484,169   Online: 880

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Hello (and a question)

Hi community

Nice site you have here. Lots of good information

I shoot about 25 rolls of black and white a year, but since I moved to the north I have no access to a local lab. I am a photo album person but have to share photos digitally. What I'm looking for is a reasonably priced mail order processing, scanning, and 4x6 printing service, mostly for T-max and Ilford 400's on real, optical paper by someone who knows black and white. Home processing and darkroom prints are not an option. My old lab can't do mail order. I'd probably send in twice yearly. Any suggestions would be helpful. TY

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi,

Welcome to the forum.
    Unless I missed it you didn't say what part of the planet you are currently occupying?
    Can't see your location in your profile, either, unless 'Halifax' is a clue?

Ilford do processing in the UK. Also their website has a 'dealer finder' by postcode which lists photo dealers in both the UK and US and tells you whether they offer processing or not ( a fair few do...look under 'where to buy') Obviously, the further you live from the UK or US, the less useful that information becomes ;-)

http://www.ilfordphoto.com/home.asp
    Steve

Shooter
    35mm
    Sorry. I should have said where I was. I work in Northern Canada in the natural resources sector. Half the year of no fixed address. So i guess I am looking for a Canada or US mail order lab. TY

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi Henry and welcome to APUG

For mail order, I would check with:

1) in Vancouver, Custom Color, ABC Photocolour or The Lab:

(http://www.customcolorprolab.com/, http://www.abcphoto.com/index.jsp or http://www.thelabvancouver.com/)

2) In Winnipeg, Photo Central: (http://www.photocentral.ca/)

Hope this helps.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks Matt.

Wow! Prices for develop, print, and scan are expensive. I'd be looking at nearly $30+tax+shipping per 35mm roll. More than 2x what I paid locally. Maybe I was spoiled.

I phoned one and they do 4x6 on colour paper. Hmmm......

TY

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hello Henry and a warm welcome to APUG! I don't know if this possible or not but can you process your own film and scan it yourself? Sometimes you can get a CD on a one hour C-41 process.

Jeff

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Henry - hello and welcome to APUG.
    gene LaFord

Long live Ed "Big Daddy" Roth!!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    "I don't care about Milwaukee or Chicago." - Yvon LeBlanc

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kubach View Post
    Hello Henry and a warm welcome to APUG! I don't know if this possible or not but can you process your own film and scan it yourself? Sometimes you can get a CD on a one hour C-41 process.

Jeff
    No. I cannot process my own film nor scan it. I am mostly on the go with work. I am totally reliant on external develop, print, and scan and with film I only shoot true B&W.

I used to use a small shop near my parents place, but they moved into assisted living and the lab closed. My father taught me to shoot B&W and I always did with my Minolta SLR. I've never given it up. I used to send my rolls home to my father and he'd get them processed locally, literally around the corner. Last I receipt I have it was $17+tax for true B&W 35mm with 4x6 prints and a scan good enough for web sharing which is important if you're really living out of a suitcase for most of your work.

I tried the Kodak 400CN film but did not like it, nor the paper. I looked at what most of mine and my Dad's were for years and it was an Ilford RC stock. Very nice stuff. For color I shoot digital, mostly snapshot stuff. But I see in B&W when I want to compose. I just prefer B&W photo paper and would like to continue if affordable. The scans are my backup copy and what I use to share with family who are scattered. I don't edit on a computer. I spend enough time in the field with a laptop.

Is there anything like what Ilford Lab Direct does in North America? Their prices aren't great but I presume the quality is there, but the shipping is total madness. I cannot tell if they use real B&W photo paper either. I'd hate to have to give up B&W shooting due to affordability.
    TY

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I see on Apug a place called the photolab from time to time.. They appear to have reaonable prices, although today I do not see their link. Just my luck. I wonder if anyone else has used them, they are in the US and they do fiber prints and scans too.

Lee

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by daleeman View Post
    I see on Apug a place called the photolab from time to time.. They appear to have reaonable prices, although today I do not see their link. Just my luck. I wonder if anyone else has used them, they are in the US and they do fiber prints and scans too.

Lee
    Thanks. I cannot see the link either.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin