Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,752   Posts: 1,515,899   Online: 1050

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format

young'un joining the ranks

Hello hello!
    I'm twenty-two, living in Texas, been shooting film for about five years, and in the process of setting up my home darkroom. I had a great, classic university photo experience -- shooting 35mm on all-manual cameras and printing on RC under the guidance of good teachers. After a two-year delay (moving and getting a darkroom setup) I'm shooting with a Yashica Mat 124g (my grandmother's!) and a Mamiya 7II and getting into FB printing. I spent most of my time shooting candid, natural-light portraits, but am not sure what direction my photos will take now that format, process, and environment have changed so entirely.

This forum is such a huge resource, I'm so grateful for it! I'm fairly isolated, living as I do on a ranch in rural Texas, and I don't know how I'd get the darkroom set up without APUG!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hello and a warm welcome to APUG. Sounds like you're off to a great start!

Jeff

Shooter
    35mm
    Welcome to APUG, hope to see ya around
    OM-2n, 50/1.8 (Black) | AE-1 Program, 50/1.8 (Silver)
    flickr.
    My other little piece of the Web.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Welcome to the forum! 23 over here in NM and also shooting the M7II and printing on FB. Glad to know there's more out there!
    K.S. Klain

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Welcome. Wish you the best on your darkroom building! Just recently got mine into production, a very fun process. Hopefully you can find darkroom goods nearby on Craigslist but suspect you being rural limits what you can buy local vs mail order.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Whoah, thanks for the warm welcome! How encouraging y'all are.

I have been extremely fortunate and privileged in the "big metal chunks" area -- a friend had an unwanted Beseler 23cII, I've inherited or been loaned cameras over the years, and Ebay has been kind to me (updating lenses and neg carriers on Bessie, old Kodak tray siphons, etc.) but the b&h cart still adds up a bit frighteningly.

My biggest difficulty has been extreme age of my little cabin home. The bathroom is all concrete, and perfect for wetlab work, but the building near-decrepitude assures that little shifts, cracks, and pinholes are everywhere. I'm using a changing bag for film loading, and will penny-test for fogging.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hello and welcome to APUG from western Massachusetts.
    gene LaFord

Long live Ed "Big Daddy" Roth!!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    "I don't care about Milwaukee or Chicago." - Yvon LeBlanc

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Welcome from Washington, DC! If you think things have changed going from 35mm to 2 1/4 and RC to fiber, you'd better stay out of the Alternative Process sections of APUG, otherwise you'll find yourself shooting Ultra-Large Format cameras and printing platinum, gum bichromate or albumen, or eschewing printing altogether and doing wet plate collodion positives on black trophy aluminum. Enjoy and welcome to the madhouse - there's always room for more folks here!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    So true!
    I actually hope to move into platinotype at some point, and may fall down the rabbit hole from there. I had a fun season building pinholes and playing with junk and instant cameras a few years ago, but decided to strip down and stick to a really simple system for a while to concentrate on my processing. Not that I have to reach some abstract level of accomplishment to "earn" the right to start playing with gum prints or anything, I just want to develop a good foundation of consistent shooting / developing / printing technique.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    First, pick up pyro development You'll see a big change in your silver gelatin negatives. Then you'll be ready for alt process. It's all easy, trust me And depending on where exactly you are in Texas, there's some great APUG folks in the center of the state who would be great resources for you. And they do get out and drive around the state a lot so it wouldn't be hard to entice them out your way wherever you are.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin