Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,710   Posts: 1,482,888   Online: 995

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hello APUG

Shooter
    35mm RF

Hello APUG

Hello everyone, my name is Anthony and I recently got in photography about a month ago. I was planning on taking a photography class; I ended up not taking it but still wanted to get into film photography. I purchased a canonet ql17 g3 and like it a lot. I do not have a battery for it so I have been using it manually with the meter. Right now I am trying to get use to setting the exposure of my camera and just really been taking pictures during the day using the sunny 16 rule. One question, will pictures come out better under exposed or over exposed? I would appreciate any tips, tricks, guides or anything helpful really. This forum seems really cool and I hope to learn from it. Thanks for reading.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Take the photographs exposed properly for now. Under and over exposing need to be done for the right reasons in the right conditions. Learn the camera and one film first. If you start developing film stick with one developer until you understand what the camera, film and developer can and cannot do in properly expose conditions.

It would be useful if your profile stated where you live. That way when necessary you could be told whom to see when you have a problem.

Welcome to APUG!

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Welcome Home Anthony !
    The GIII is such a sweet camera ... too bad mine isn't functional at the moment.

Ron

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Welcome to APUG, Anthony. You asked whether it is better to over-expose or under-expose. With negative films it is generally better to over-expose rather than under-expose. Slides are different.
    Charles Hohenstein

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Welcome to APUG.

If you are unsure about what settings to use for correct exposure, a good rule of thumb is:

1) for negative film bracket, but lean toward more exposure; and
    2) for slide film bracket, but lean toward less exposure.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Sirius- thanks for the response but I meant which is better when I don't know the proper exposure.

Ron- yeah I am really like it, what is wron with yours?

Chazzy- thanks for tip man

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Thanks Matt.

A few more questions, what speed of film is best for beginners? Does it matter?
    What is a good cheap B&W film? Any rule about exposure on B&W film?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Anthony-i View Post
    Thanks Matt.

A few more questions, what speed of film is best for beginners? Does it matter?
    What is a good cheap B&W film? Any rule about exposure on B&W film?
    Speed: depends on what conditions you photograph under. Generally anything between 100 ISO and 400 ISO should be fine for most purposes.

B & W exposure: same rules as for colour, except sometimes the colour of the light can be important with colour exposures (think street lights or tungsten bulbs).

B & W film choice: don't try to save too much money . I'd suggest to any beginner that they start out with a widely available film from one of the three top quality manufacturers who continue to make film today - Kodak, Ilford or Fuji. There are good films available from other manufacturers but there are more questions concerning quality control issues or supply chain issues - something a beginner shouldn't really try to deal with until they are more experienced.

In my case, I'm a lifelong Kodak user. For me currently, that means Plus-X for ISO 125, and TMY-2 for 400 ISO.

I'm not sure, however, that Plus-X is going to be around for the long haul .

In the short term though, Freestyle Photo has a house brand (Arista Premium) for 35mm film that most likely is actually Kodak film - a 100 ISO version of Plus-X, and for 400 ISO, a version of Tri-X: http://www.freestylephoto.biz/c40-Black-and-White-Film

Those prices are excellent, and Tri-X (and Plus-X) are classic choices that you cannot go wrong with.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Anthony - hello and welcome to APUG from western Massachusetts. Have fun with that camera, it's a great little camera. I don't use mine enough.
    gene LaFord

Long live Ed "Big Daddy" Roth!!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    "I don't care about Milwaukee or Chicago." - Yvon LeBlanc

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hello Anthony and welcome to APUG. If you have a digital camera, you can use the meter from the camera.

Jeff

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin