Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,315   Posts: 1,536,701   Online: 940

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks Peter.

Ron

Shooter
    Large Format
    I think that process [we call it the Capstaff 2 color process] was a little earlier. My understanding was that it didn't go to maket because the dyes were only available in Germany and we were just entering the wat. Nevertheless...there might be something in our Kodak archives. Our photography collection have many of these including the negatives and single plates.

Shooter
    Large Format
    I think that process [we call it the Capstaff 2 color process] was a little earlier. My understanding was that it didn't go to maket because the dyes were only available in Germany and we were just entering the wat. Nevertheless...there might be something in our Kodak archives. Our photography collection have many of these including the negatives and single plates.

I posted this in the wrong place before...whoops. As you can see, I don't go on forums very often.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Thanks Ian. Hope your work with emulsions is is bearing fruit.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I look forward to discussing this with you in person Mark.

I believe Pinatype was earlier, c.a. 1907 off the top of my head(?). Capstaff's Kodachrome was in the 20's and used the same class of dyes. Indeed, if the specific dye class was disclosed in the archives somewhere it would solve a hundred year old mystery!, one that the likes of J.S. Friedman was keenly interested in knowing the answer to.

It's entirely possible that it was disclosed at some point, but I doubt it and I'm not sure where that would be hidden.

OK, sorry, going off on a tangent!
    If you are the big tree, we are the small axe

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    PINA is a standard reference used in classifying dye types. Dyes were given PINA numbrs to distinguish them by class and color, but IDK the methodology used. It is not very common today but is still used. PINA type was merely an early version IIRC.

Capstaff's original work is fully documented in the KRL library where all notebooks are kept including mine and George Eastman's. IDK who is permitted access. I have been told I have access to parts of the library but most of even my own work is off limits to me now.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    That's interesting about PINA classifications. But Friedman wrote a long rant (basically) on this topic in the mid 40's and I'm sure he would've known about this classification scheme. In fact I think it's in some of the Am. Photo papers I posted on the dye-imbibition article/thread.

Perhaps it's a case of 'chicken or the egg'... that is, pinatype was a clever name to denote the use of dyes in the process.
    If you are the big tree, we are the small axe

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin