Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,682   Posts: 1,482,207   Online: 1048

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Large Format

Turning a New Leaf at George Eastman House

From 1999 to 2009 I taught the technological evolution of photography to an international group of photograph conservators in the Advanced Residency Program in Photograph Conservation here at George Eastman House International Museum of Photography and Film in Rochester, NY.

While that program is now over, I still work here at Eastman House as the photographic process historian. For the first time I am now at liberty to teach my curriculum to the general public. This includes everything from pre-photographic drawing techniques using camera lucida, tent cameras and physionotrace to the earliest processes of Niepce, Daguerre, Bayard and Talbot and all the way to making gelatin emulsions. And from time to time we have guest instructors.

And yes, I teach collodion. In fact, the very first group workshops in the revival of collodion process were conducted by France [my wife] and me here at the museum in 1995. This year we taught the first public workshop in making collodion chloride emulsion printing-out paper and dry plate collodion negatives. This fall I will be teaching two collodion workshops; a beginning ambrotype workshop and a collodion negative workshop featuring both wet and dry collodion negatives, retouching and salt printing.

Our regularly scheduled workshops usually include the history, theory and hands-on instruction of a specific process, but also viewing rare examples of the featured process from the collections of the museum.

Mark Osterman

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Good to have you here, Mark. You and France does do some lovely photographic work, as I first found out via a reference in one of Jayne Hinds Bidauts photographic books many years ago.
    “Do your work, then step back. The only path to serenity.” - Lao Tzu

Vegas/mysterious mohave co. az, Big Pine Key Fla.
    Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Welcome!
    [FONT="Arial Black"][/FONT]

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Welcome aboard! Glad to have such a knowledgeable and experienced Collodion user on here. I was just looking at some of your work the other day whilst brushing up on alt processes. I look forward to your insights and maybe post some images? Cheers
    K.S. Klain

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hello and welcome to APUG. You sure do know alot!

Jeff

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Welcome to APUG. Do you know PE?

I would love to take a colloidal workshop to see if I have been faking it the right way.
    Thy heart -- thy heart! -- I wake and sigh,
    And sleep to dream till day
    Of the truth that gold can never buy
    Of the bawbles that it may.

www.silverhalidephotography.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Mark and I are teaching a joint workshop at GEH starting Monday the 3rd of October. We are setting up the lab tomorrow. So, yes, I do know Mark! Please see his post in the workshop thread.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hooray, a new source of knowledge. Welcome!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Welcome, Mark. Good to see you here. As you probably know, we have a Workshops and Lectures section in the forum, and hope you'll post what is on offer in those areas. There are a number of wet plate enthusiasts here, I did a workshop myself a few years ago, so hope you'll keep this community up to date with all the classes on offer at GEH.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I am lucky enough to know both PE and Mark Osterman. It is great to have such excellent resources available. They both helped me with my book.

Bob Shanebrook author of "Making KODAK Film".

makingKODAKfilm.com

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin