Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,923   Posts: 1,522,103   Online: 785

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Hello, or, how I learned to stop worrying and love introduction threads.

Is it possible to make an introduction thread that doesn't have a terrible title? I don't think so.

I'm josh. Should capitalise that but it's not in my autocorrect. I'm a 23 year old history teacher from nsw Australia. Exciting.

I got my first digital slr on Christmas of '09 and thanks to loving with parents my largely disposable income has seen me invest quite heavily in my little hobby.

I shoot a mixture of digital and film and I mostly enjoy shooting street photography, although whether I'm any good at it remains to be seen.

I've done paid work (you know that kind of paid work where your amateur inflated self-efficacy means you don't realise how bad you cocked up until months later) in order to justify how much I've spent on gear, but I realised pretty quickly that working to a brief was boring and that I'd rather stick to my day job. So at the mo I'm purely in it for the fun of it, hence I decided to start shooting and developing film when dad loaned me his X-700 about six months ago.

Right now though I'm trying to get out to more exhibitions and nail down my written style in an effort to get some work as an art critic. Even if it's not paid work, I just want to get some reviews published somewhere and maybe get a thumbs up from some peers.

And that's all there is to it. Dont know if I ought to list my gear here or not, bit this post seems long enough.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Welcome! Gear is not as important as the pictures you make, so jump in with any of your film questions!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi Josh - Welcome to APUG! Looking forward to seeing some of your work.
    Rachelle

My favorite thing is to go where I've never been. D. Arbus

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Welcome Josh! If you want to have a try in doing some critique here, in the Gallery is a section where we Apug'ers submit work for critique. I believe you must be a subscriber to provide critique but it might be worth it for you to try to write up a formal critique of work? Just a thought? Who knows maybe if your critiques are so wonderful someone might recognize your abilities?

Anyway, welcome and have fun, folks round here know a ton so ask any questions you have.

Shooter
    35mm
    Yeah man it'll get posted up as soon as I get my hands on this plustek unit. UPS tells me it left customs yesterday (friday), so I'm hoping it'll turn up on my doorstep on Monday.

:beepboop:

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by zsas View Post
    Welcome Josh! If you want to have a try in doing some critique here, in the Gallery is a section where we Apug'ers submit work for critique. I believe you must be a subscriber to provide critique but it might be worth it for you to try to write up a formal critique of work? Just a thought? Who knows maybe if your critiques are so wonderful someone might recognize your abilities?
    At the moment I'm posting up a couple of book reviews. Subscribing would be fine, so long as members aren't too sensitive about the critique they get :/

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Only the Critique Gallery is fair game, not the other galleries, I wish you the best!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Welcome Josh. What type of history do you teach? Do you have a background in art history? What do you know of the history of photography, what do you know of compositional styles?

Just a few questions you should think about to be a successful critic. Most people that offer opinions/ critiques do so without any of the tools of the trade basing their "critique" from personal opinion. Good luck with your endeavor and the X-700 is a great camera.

Joel
    Thy heart -- thy heart! -- I wake and sigh,
    And sleep to dream till day
    Of the truth that gold can never buy
    Of the bawbles that it may.

www.silverhalidephotography.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Josh - hello and welcome to APUG!!
    gene LaFord

Long live Ed "Big Daddy" Roth!!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    "I don't care about Milwaukee or Chicago." - Yvon LeBlanc

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by guitstik View Post
    Welcome Josh. What type of history do you teach? Do you have a background in art history? What do you know of the history of photography, what do you know of compositional styles?
    I teach the mundane crap that passes for history in Australian schools, but I am mainly interested in modern world history. Too many topics to get into.

Not too well versed in art history. My girlfriend is, and she tries to teach me, but it just doesn't go in.

I know a bit about the history of photography but am currently trying to expand my knowledge by disseminating some seminal works by photographers I respect.

As for compositional styles, I'm primarily interested in photojournalism and documentary style bodies of work, and I'm fairly familiar with the styles associated with the field. Having said that, one can only absorb so much in a short period of time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin