Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,659   Posts: 1,481,475   Online: 1115

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm

It's Jali from Jakarta

Hello,

My (not a real) name is Jali from Jakarta, Indonesia, a 90s generation, a 35mm shooter and an avid follower of the sunny 16 rule.
    My experience in analog photography started when I was in college. Although my major is graphic design, but there was a photography class for 2 semesters. I learned all the basics: aperture & speed tricks, b&w photography, dof, panning, darkroom, etc.
    After that class, I was abandoning my old analog SLR, switched to a digital compact camera and forgetting all the lessons about analog photography for 10 years, until the year is 2010. I found my abandoned Yashica 108 in the closet, and started shooting film again. And then....it all came back.

I bought another camera, and another one, and then others, and I found myself deep in love with mechanical cameras. I began to learn (again) the very basic theory of photography: the sunny 16 rule and amazed how effective yet underrated this rule is. So I've become obsessed with sunny 16 and bought cameras that can be operated without batteries: a Pentax MX (lightmeter is broken), a Canonet, and a Nikon F2 (also with broken lightmeter). Those are my holy trinity

Learning sunny 16 is a real challenge, the cost is hundreds of discarded frames, but I just keep shooting more and perfecting my settings to shoot with the rule.

Cheers

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hello and a warm welcome to APUG! Yes it does take practice.

Jeff

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Glad you found us.

I always like hearing the 'back to film' testimonials

Google 'Fred Parkers Ultimate Exposure Calculator'
    It is a bit of a long read, but the tables at the end are better than anything I have found in an old Kodak Photguide.

I use them, retyped and photreduced, laminated and taped to the back of all sorts of old cameras with no or inoperative light meters to yield most exceptionally acceptable B&W film exposures.
    my real name, imagine that.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Welcome! By any chance, have you posted an article at Steve Huff's site? I also use the Sunny 16 rules most of the time, but when indoors I get help from a Luna Pro. :P

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Hi and welcome to APUG from Washington, DC! Glad you found your way back to film. Keep it up and soon we'll have you shooting ultra-large format and contact printing, and wondering where your spare time and money went!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Welcome to APUG, and good luck with the sunny f16 rule.
    Charles Hohenstein

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Welcome to APUG Jali!
    Rachelle

My favorite thing is to go where I've never been. D. Arbus

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Jali - hello and welcome to APUG from western Massachusetts USA.
    gene LaFord

Long live Ed "Big Daddy" Roth!!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    "I don't care about Milwaukee or Chicago." - Yvon LeBlanc

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks all, for your warm welcome

Quote Originally Posted by ColdEye View Post
    Welcome! By any chance, have you posted an article at Steve Huff's site? I also use the Sunny 16 rules most of the time, but when indoors I get help from a Luna Pro. :P
    Yup, I posted my sunny 16 experiment in a low light condition with ISO 200 films at Steve Huff's site. Here's the link: http://www.stevehuffphoto.com/2011/1...n-272-by-jali/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Welcome Home Jali !

Ron

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin