Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,930   Posts: 1,585,381   Online: 966

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    4x5 Format

Hello from East Sussex, UK

I thought it was about time I sent in a "who and what am I", so here goes...

My first experience of using a camera was with a borrowed box camera. I took only one photo, but I was the only one in the family to manage to get a level horizon. A one-off fluke, as it turned out... I was then given a camera as a present that used the 828 film, as I think it was - unperforated 35mm. This was around 1955, when I was 6.

I began processing with contact prints around 1959, and got my first enlarger in 1961. My first "real" camera was a 35mm in the early 1960s, with an Exa IIB in 1965 and an Exakta in 1967. On the Exakta wearing out, I got an OM1 in 1974, OM2 in 1977, and OM4 in 1984. No new 35mm equipment since.

Medium format eventually beckoned, and 5x4 after that. I now shoot mainly 5x4, with 6x7 (Mamiya RZ) when I feel too weak to carry the 5x4. That said, my 5x4 weighs less than the RZ with a shift lens...

On going to university (chemistry degree) I lost touch with black and white processing due mainly to loss of my darkroom at home, and I switched to colour slides, home processed. The joys of the reversal exposure by waving photofloods around in the days before chemical reversal!

My return to B&W has only been in the last few years, and I am amazed at the changes! No more HP3, which I used alongside PanF (not the plus version). Adox KB14 gone (I liked that film - I have just bought some Efke 25). The worst shock was finding that Unitol developer had gone. I always was extremely conservative in films and processing.

For those interested in the hardware: I use a Durst 805 for 6x7 and an LPL for 5x4; Combi tanks for 5x4 and Paterson tanks for anything smaller (I have a few of the original Major II tanks and the System 4 tanks that replaced them, in all sizes). My developer is now Rodinal, as I feel that it will continue to be available and if not, there are published formulae (no comments on this please - I have seen too many discussions on the one true Rodinal).

My overall technical knowledge is more theoretical than practical, as I have never been greatly interested in chopping and changing - as my equipment list shows. I have always found something I got on with, for one reason or another, and stuck with it. I did investigate practically the different films available on returning to B&W, and am saddened that some I really liked are no more (Agfa 25). I admit to a preference for slow films, even though I cheerfully admit that I never regarded a shutter speed longer that 1/250 hand holdable by me. I use a tripod for everything these days, so leaves moving in the wind as the main problem.

One the rather more interesting side, I photograph mainly landscapes and
    architecture, although I include close ups of trees etc under landscapes.

On the more personal level, and with regard to some of the recent APUG
    discussions; I am an ex patriot Yorkshireman living in Hove, East Sussex; my
    linguistic ability is limited, having studied French, German, Latin and NT
    Greek. My Hebrew only got as far as being able to vocalise a text (i.e the
    alphabet and vowel points) without actually learning any syntax or vocabulary.

Summary: unadventurous and able to write a lot without saying anything.

I enjoy APUG - what little I have seen so far - and the amazing technical
    knowledge that you all seem to have.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Welcome to the forum from Hawaii. It is always good to have more input from the UK and I am looking forward to seeing some of your images posted in the gallery.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Welcome, Stephen!
    Wow! That is some history! I look forward to your inpt & to your gallery posts!
    Jeanette
    .................................................. ................
    Isaiah 25:1

Near Tavistock, Devon, on the edge of Dartmoor.
    Shooter
    35mm
    My return to B&W has only been in the last few years, and I am amazed at the changes! No more HP3, which I used alongside PanF (not the plus version). Adox KB14 gone (I liked that film - I have just bought some Efke 25). The worst shock was finding that Unitol developer had gone. I always was extremely conservative in films and processing.

My overall technical knowledge is more theoretical than practical, as I have never been greatly interested in chopping and changing - as my equipment list shows. I have always found something I got on with, for one reason or another, and stuck with it.

Hi Stephen,
    Like you, I have recently returned to B & W and was surprised at the changes. I just made it to HP4 before the curtain came down on my previous darkroom (although I was still working my way through a 400' reel of HP3, some of which I still have, but which I keep for purely sentimental reasons!!) I also used Unitol, but totally by accident on my return kicked off with Jessops "Econotol", which I later read (on this forum, I think) is made to the same or similar formula as Unitol.
    I also tend not to be as experimental as I would like to be, due partly to the fact that getting hold of anything but the basics in Plymouth is pretty difficult, but also to the fact that there are only so many hours in the day and there are also cars to mend, window frames to paint and other jobs that must be done to keep 'Er Indoors sweet.
    Multigrade papers have been a voyage of discovery for me in the past year, and I can't say I'm totally "at one" with them. If paper was as cheap today as it was 25/30 years ago, I'd much prefer to stock up on various grades of Agfa Brovira and Kodak Bromesko. The RC papers are pretty amazing, with recommended wash times of only a few minutes, quick drying, flat drying and no squeegeeing on to polished plates to get a decent gloss (with the inevitable bubble that always necessitated another attempt).
    I feel slightly saddened by the fact that I am getting back into B & W wet photography at a point when it is under threat from the D-word, but get great satisfaction from producing the type of prints which 25 years ago were considered "the norm" but are now seen as "artistic" or "quirky" by some, but are almost invariably well-received.
    Best wishes,
    Steve

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Welcome from over in Norfolk. Check out the regional forum for news on an APUGUK gettogether in February.
    [size=1]the all new darkplanet photoblog[/size][size=1]
    [/size]

roy
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Welcome from up the road !
    Roy Groombridge.

Cogito, ergo sum.
    (Descartes)

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    Welcome from down the road.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    and Hi from a bit further up the road.
    Regards Dave.

An English Eye

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Hi from next door! (Practically).

Given that you're originally from Yorkshire, would there be any mileage in me having a quick gloat about the Brighton & Hove Albion result at the weekend...?

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ailsa
    Hi from next door! (Practically).

Given that you're originally from Yorkshire, would there be any mileage in me having a quick gloat about the Brighton & Hove Albion result at the weekend...?
    I assume that a Yorkshire team defeated the Brighton side (or the other way about). I actually don't know anything about football, and didn't even know that they were playing. I have never even seen a game (live or on TV). Sorry - any gloat would be lost on me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin