Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,921   Posts: 1,584,892   Online: 1112

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

Hello from the Great White North!

Hello, APUG!

This past summer, I stumbled back into the world of analogue photography, after having wanted to go back to it since about 2009. I quit shooting film in 2004 in lieu of digital. Now, I should probably let you know I've been lurking behind the scenes on APUG for about a month or so, and I've read so much and learned so much already from this website. One thing that seems common on here is people shoot film until switching to digital for whatever reason for anywhere from 6 months to an entire decade but be seemingly unsatisfied with digital and decide to move back to film. Well, that isn't the case with me. No, rather, I just liked the vintage look of certain films and cameras and thought it would be neat for a special "look" once in a while. I was actually quite pleased with my digital results.

I guess, though, as many things in life, things didn't go as expected with film. Initially, I only had an old Canon A35F Rangefinder and Fuji Superia film. Mix that with a low quality lab, and my shots came out less than stellar. Then I inherited an old Canon point and shoot from 1988 (which I have yet to use, hehe). Then a couple months ago, I got myself a proper film camera (in my mind), a Nikon F80 for an excellent deal, considering it's great condition. Now, I could use my Nikon lenses! I started trying different films and found a higher quality lab and now, looking back at the digital photographs I have amassed over the years, 85% of them that I thought were great before have lost their luster. I am really realizing the truer rendition of colour, tones, highlights, etc. in film as well as not wanting to waste frames (and by extension, money) means that I try that much harder to get an excellent shot and my photography has improved overall. My photos aren't so over the top contrasty with film, I love that! I just love the look and resolution of film and the overall workflow and how much better attention I take to detail when out shooting and oh, I could go on.

I am now becoming ever so much more frustrated with digital photos I take. I don't get it. I see most of the world's good photographers (amateur or pro; known or unknown) still take exceptional photos digitally. I mean, film photos are equally as exceptional, just in different ways. I'm clearly missing something because I too should be able to attain those results with digital. Maybe film just works better for me personally?

What's next? I shall be obtaining a Nikon FG very quickly and shall thus learn more about manual focus photography (which I only did for a few months with my first dSLR, and I'm sure manual focus works better on a manual focus camera). After that, hopefully a medium format, either a TLR or non-clunky 120 SLR. Maybe I can finally try out those more vintage looks with the Nikon FG?

Also, despite my frustrations with digital, like I said, there is a lot of fantastic digital work out there. Because I regularly work with the format (though much less so now than a few months ago) I see a lot of hate and misconceptions directed at the format on APUG, and it leads me to almost want to defend it. Digital is not the antichrist . I also find it a bit strange that scanners aren't supposed to be discussed here, I mean, yes, it connects to a computer and is for creating computer files of your analog photos, but it still deals directly with analogue photography. I guess I can understand a bit as you guys probably want to keep this site as traditional as possible, but it is still strange nonetheless.

I mostly do urban photography, consisting of street and architectural photography, but I also love doing portraits, landscapes, plants, as well as new concepts to allow me to grow as a photographer.

Oh, and I live in Edmonton.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Hello,

Welcome to APUG. You are about 800 miles south of me by car, a little less when the winter road opens through Fort Chipewyan and Fort McMurray.

Cheers,
    Clarence in Fort Smith, NT

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I am still please with digital also and it pays all the bills... B+W film on the otherhand and the resolution, contrastyness, etc, and the wet print, can't be quite duplicated (to me) in the digital relm.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Welcome to APUG!
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Welcome to APUG.

And as far as being from Edmonton ..... at least it isn't Toronto

As for scanning and other digital issues, it isn't that they aren't something worth discussing, it is that it works better for APUG not to discuss them here.

Hope you enjoy yourself.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Or British Columbia where everybody drives into Alberta to escape sales tax.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Welcome to APUG from a former Calgarian! (although admittedly it's been a while).
    Rachelle

My favorite thing is to go where I've never been. D. Arbus

Shooter
    35mm
    Welcome from a proud Torontonian and I don't care who hates that now I'm in the Medicine Hat area

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Miskuss View Post
    Welcome from a proud Torontonian and I don't care who hates that now I'm in the Medicine Hat area
    Confession: I was born in Toronto
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Welcome Home H.V. !

Ron

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin