Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,557   Posts: 1,545,194   Online: 1004

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Greetings from a film convert!

I was a film photographer (35mm) for a number of years before making the switch to digital. A few months ago I started a project to sort through old negatives and scan old images. In the process of looking at negatives I found myself more and more in love with the look and feel of the images on film. I tried experimenting with digital images and recreating the look of grain from films I had loved but it never was the same for me.

By this time I had cut back to a single film body - a Nikon F4s that was suffering from a failing shutter so I started researching for a replacement. I've always been a fan of medium format (6x6 specifically) so I looked at a number of options and finally settled on getting myself a Bronica SQ. Through some diligent web searching and eBay auction watching over a few months I've managed to put together a great kit consisting of a mint SQ-Ai body, 80mm f/2.8 PS lens, waist level and prism (non-metered) finders, several mint/new 120 backs, a Polaroid back new in box, speed winder and even a bellows-type lens shade all for under $1000.

So far I've been testing with a number of different films finding ones I like (so far I think Ilford HP5 tops my list, but I'm always looking for recommendations) and having them processed by a local lab. Next up is starting to develop myself, but it's been a number of years since I've worked in a darkroom so I'm taking it one step at a time for now.

Anyway, I was very happy to come across APUG and have been lurking for a bit so I figured I should get out and start contributing to this great community.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hello and a warm welcome to APUG!

Jeff

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Hiya, Uriel! Welcome to APUG from Australia

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Welcome to APUG
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Welcome home! :-)

My favourite film right now for medium format (mainly Mamiya M645's) is Fomapan 100, developed in either xTol or Rodinal. A holiday bonus, when I pour out the developer, the dissolved anti-halation layer turns the solution a cheerful Christmas green :-)
    Nikon 35mm, Mamiya 645 & RB67, Leica IIIb, other bits and pieces

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Welcome to APUG, Uriel. Like you, I really like HP5+.
    Charles Hohenstein

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Uriel, welcome to APUG! You are now shooting with my exact set-up (SQAi, H5P5+, etc) -- I'm sure you'll love the combination.
    Rachelle

My favorite thing is to go where I've never been. D. Arbus

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Another welcome from Australia. San Diego is where my much-loved Pentax 67 came from.
    Your Bronica SQ kit, all of it minty, would be a dream catch. It's pretty darn difficult to assess stuff on FleaBay without imparting a great deal of cautionary risk and hope for the best!
    .::Gary Rowan Higgins

A comfort zone is a wonderful place. But nothing ever grows there.
    —Anon.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Uriel - hello and welcome to APUG from western Massachusetts.
    gene LaFord

Long live Ed "Big Daddy" Roth!!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    "I don't care about Milwaukee or Chicago." - Yvon LeBlanc

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Welcome. I also use a Bronica SQ with HP5. I also really like the Delta 100, if you ever get a chance to try that.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin