Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,592   Posts: 1,546,032   Online: 965

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by baachitraka View Post
    Henri Cartier-Bresson

He disliked developing or making his own prints. He said: "I've never been interested in the process of photography, never, never. Right from the beginning. For me, photography with a small camera like the Leica is an instant drawing." -Wikipedia.

If you give a birth to a child and you are not interested to raise them up, how can they be such a master piece.
    I don't see what is odd about it, personally. Being there and getting shots is what matters most IMO. The rest interests me very little. I have learned all about it, but I don't necessarily enjoy it. It is just a necessity. If I could have someone else do it all for me, I would. I like being a photographer, not a darkroom technician. I may like being in the darkroom sometimes, but it is not an "artistically necessary" part of the process for me.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cliveh View Post
    I have to come in on this thread, as to me capture is everything, even in a still life subject. Printing and process can be done in an infinite different ways by an infinite number of people, but only with the original negative. I regard HCB as the greatest photographer of the 20th Century, if not of all time.
    Interesting that you say that, and that I was immediately drawn to your clever image that I just purchased from you... which reminded me more than a bit of HCB's quick wit and knack of timing.

Here's the print that I speak of, soon to be on my wall:

http://www.apug.org/gallery1/showima...atid=favorites

I think I have good taste
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by 2F/2F View Post
    I don't see what is odd about it, personally. Being there and getting shots is what matters most IMO. The rest interests me very little. I have learned all about it, but I don't necessarily enjoy it. It is just a necessity. If I could have someone else do it all for me, I would. I like being a photographer, not a darkroom technician. I may like being in the darkroom sometimes, but it is not an "artistically necessary" part of the process for me.
    If a scorpion stung me I only know the pain(or pleasure), but how it is possible to bring this emotion through a print which was done by somebody else.
    OM-1n: Do I need to own a Leica?
    Rolleicord Va: Humble.
    Holga 120GFN: Amazingly simple yet it produces outstanding negatives to print.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by cliveh View Post
    I have to come in on this thread, as to me capture is everything, even in a still life subject. Printing and process can be done in an infinite different ways by an infinite number of people, but only with the original negative. I regard HCB as the greatest photographer of the 20th Century, if not of all time.
    I've never cared much for HCB, and I think printing is an extremely important part of the art. So there you go, a totally different opinion

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Indeed Micheal, but what is so intrigues me is how can HCB achieved such a Master Piece even though he is not printing those(hope, I do not mistake anything).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    If a scorpion stung me I only know the pain(or pleasure), but how it is possible to bring this emotion through a print which was done by somebody else.
    Well why would you need to do a print in the first place? I think you're assuming that being motivated to make visual art equals wanting to make refined prints. They are totally different motivations.

I don't understand why you think HCB would need to say any words at all to a printmaker!!! Why isn't the image enough?? What exactly do you think HCB would have needed to tell the printer?! Dodge and burn, straighten, crop? Guess what, HCB hardly ever did any of those things with his images, a lot of his work was, in modern parlance, "Straight out of the camera."
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    "I have to come in on this thread, as to me capture is everything, even in a still life subject. Printing and process can be done in an infinite different ways by an infinite number of people, but only with the original negative. I regard HCB as the greatest photographer of the 20th Century, if not of all time."
    And the same subject can be photographed by an infinite number of people in an infinite number of ways.
    A crappy print of a great negative is IMHO no more appealing than a screechy performance (think Roseanne Barr singing the national anthem) of a great piece of music.
    In my opinion a truely great piece of photographic art happens when a person with vision makes a great negative and it's printed by a master printer (who may be the photographer him or herself).
    As far as HCB goes, I just don't get it. It looks to me like glorified street work and I've seen lots better street work. No offense to anyone is intended.
    Obviously YMMV.
    "A man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest"........Paul Simon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I don't know what it feels like to be stung by a scorpion, but I know how I get prints printed: have my darkroom tech make a "straight print", then mark it up with crop, dodge, burn instructions, iterate until happy. Quite often the darkroom tech tries something as a suggestion. If it works it works. One could quibble about whos print it is - his vision or mine. I don't care to quibble.

MDR
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Mapplethorpe didn't print his pictures either I personaly don't really care for HCB I much prefer Werner Bischof but in HCB case the image works because of the decisive moment or image content and not because of the print quality. Mapplethorpe on the other hand knew how to light and his printer kne how to create the best print possible one wouldn't have worked without the other.

Dominik

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by keithwms View Post
    Well why would you need to do a print in the first place? I think you're assuming that being motivated to make visual art equals wanting to make refined prints. They are totally different motivations.

I don't understand why you think HCB would need to say any words at all to a printmaker!!! Why isn't the image enough?? What exactly do you think HCB would have needed to tell the printer?! Dodge and burn, straighten, crop? Guess what, HCB hardly ever did any of those things with his images, a lot of his work was, in modern parlance, "Straight out of the camera."
    Mr. keith,

Its not about technique(presumably in dark room), I only care about those feelings(Unfortunately, I only trained in engineer I do not have words to describe).

I personally think, it is not so easy to imprint your emotions on someone...my 2c..

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin