Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,223   Posts: 1,532,490   Online: 1069
      
Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 117
  1. #41

    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    5,016
    Quote Originally Posted by baachitraka View Post
    Unfortunately, most of HCB work are master piece.
    I have to admit that I've only seen a small portion of his body of work, but I'll bet that there are ten-fold (or more) that weren't masterpieces.

  2. #42
    Sirius Glass's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Southern California
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    13,065
    As usual, Brian has my back covered. Just don't let lxdude back there!
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

    Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

    I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

  3. #43
    keithwms's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Charlottesville, Virginia
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    6,079
    Blog Entries
    20
    Images
    129
    Quote Originally Posted by baachitraka View Post
    Mr. Keith,

    This is question by itself, Is it possible to create a master piece(not accidental) when you are not the part of whole?
    So you consider the process not to be complete until there is a print. I'd say sometimes it is, sometimes it isn't. A lot of times a print is unnecessary for me and I'd very happily give my negs to someone else to play with. This is why I have some issues with the BTZS approach, I guess

    So the bigger question is... what is "the whole" in your way of thinking? Isn't the experience of being there and visualizing and composing the image and enjoying the act of composition enough to constitute a "whole" experience?

    You might take interests in Minor White's unconventional "zen" teachings on this subject; see if you can get your hands on Rites and Passages. White was the first master photographer whose thinking made me think I wasn't so weird after all You know, he led some very unusual seminars and the stories are quite amusing. People would show up expecting to shoot their cameras and instead would wind up meditating on a subject in a circle. Or they'd go out with cameras and not actually take any photographs, or just describe what they see and experience the frustration of not being able to "capture" it. I am not quite that far out there, but I see a lot of value in quietly contemplating/meditating, enjoying the experience, enjoying my company or my solitude, whichever the case may be... and printing if and when I feel like it.
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

    [APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

  4. #44

    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    5,016
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirius Glass View Post
    As usual, Brian has my back covered. Just don't let lxdude back there!
    It's really scarey. Sometimes I think that we may inadvertantly be triplets.

  5. #45
    cliveh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Posts
    3,191
    Images
    343
    Quote Originally Posted by baachitraka View Post
    Mr. Keith,

    This is question by itself, Is it possible to create a master piece(not accidental) when you are not the part of the whole?
    By whole, I assume you mean finished print. But I would suggest the master piece exists at the latent image stage, regardless of whether it is destroyed before process or finished as a naff print or master print.

    “The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

    Francis Bacon

  6. #46

    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    5,016
    Quote Originally Posted by cliveh View Post
    By whole, I assume you mean finished print. But I would suggest the master piece exists at the latent image stage, regardless of whether it is destroyed before process or finished as a naff print or master print.
    I like that philosophy. Did I ever tell you about my image that was capable of being a Pulitzer Prize winner. It was outside of Harrods, in Knightsbridge, on a rainy afternoon. I forgot my camera that day... but what an image it was!

  7. #47
    baachitraka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Bremen, Germany.
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    1,320
    Quote Originally Posted by keithwms View Post
    So you consider the process not to be complete until there is a print. I'd say sometimes it is, sometimes it isn't. A lot of times a print is unnecessary for me and I'd very happily give my negs to someone else to play with. This is why I have some issues with the BTZS approach, I guess

    So the bigger question is... what is "the whole" in your way of thinking? Isn't the experience of being there and visualizing and composing the image and enjoying the act of composition enough to constitute a "whole" experience?

    You might take interests in Minor White's unconventional "zen" teachings on this subject; see if you can get your hands on Rites and Passages. White was the first master photographer whose thinking made me think I wasn't so weird after all You know, he led some very unusual seminars and the stories are quite amusing. People would show up expecting to shoot their cameras and instead would wind up meditating on a subject in a circle. Or they'd go out with cameras and not actually take any photographs, or just describe what they see and experience the frustration of not being able to "capture" it. I am not quite that far out there, but I see a lot of value in quietly contemplating/meditating, enjoying the experience, enjoying my company or my solitude, whichever the case may be... and printing if and when I feel like it.
    I'm from East, it is not just the Photography that is possible through a practice Meditation/Spiritualism. But, I only wonder how easy for someone like HCB who can imprint his(what ever it may be) on someone to bring a Master Piece.
    OM-1n: Do I need to own a Leica?
    Rolleicord Va: Humble.
    Holga 120GFN: Amazingly simple yet it produces outstanding negatives to print.

  8. #48
    baachitraka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Bremen, Germany.
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    1,320
    Quote Originally Posted by cliveh View Post
    By whole, I assume you mean finished print. But I would suggest the master piece exists at the latent image stage, regardless of whether it is destroyed before process or finished as a naff print or master print.
    Not really at all. I only interested in the transient transformation(later I can call that its mine or other can call its yours)...
    OM-1n: Do I need to own a Leica?
    Rolleicord Va: Humble.
    Holga 120GFN: Amazingly simple yet it produces outstanding negatives to print.

  9. #49
    cliveh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Posts
    3,191
    Images
    343
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianShaw View Post
    I like that philosophy. Did I ever tell you about my image that was capable of being a Pulitzer Prize winner. It was outside of Harrods, in Knightsbridge, on a rainy afternoon. I forgot my camera that day... but what an image it was!
    I value this post, as I have had the same experience without a camera many times.

    “The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

    Francis Bacon

  10. #50
    keithwms's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Charlottesville, Virginia
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    6,079
    Blog Entries
    20
    Images
    129
    Quote Originally Posted by baachitraka View Post
    I only wonder how easy for someone like HCB who can imprint his(what ever it may be) on someone to bring a Master Piece.
    Because everything that really needed to be said was in the image. Why do you think a successful image needs to have accompanying instructions?

    And on a practical level, I doubt there is much ambiguity in his negs, they are very graphical and well composed. I doubt there is any need to burn and dodge to impart drama or emphasis to most of his images.

    Also bear in mind that there are deliberate games with camera angle etc that he played; if he actually had a spirit level, he'd probably have used it to make sure that the camera wasn't level when you thought it should be. So he probably actively nurtured that spontaneous look. Recent revelations about his rough drafts seem to suggest that.

    Anyway, I haven't seen HCBs negs but I bet you they are fun to work with. And let's give credit where it's due, whoever he did or didn't work with as a printer was also very good.
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

    [APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast


 

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:



Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin