Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,926   Posts: 1,585,048   Online: 963

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

George Tice - New Collector's Book

Wow, plain and simple.

The book includes 24 Platinum/Palladium 8"x10" prints of many of his most famous images. I'm lucky enough to own two of my favourite Tice prints, but I wish I could come close to affording this new book.

Actually the price, although very expensive, is extremely low considering what you'd normally have to pay for a single open edition silver gelatin print by Tice, let alone his Platinum prints.

I want this thing!!!!

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Is there link to see the book on-line?
    When I grow up, I want to be a photographer.

http://www.walterpcalahan.com/Photography/index.html

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Jeez, what a tease!
    K.S. Klain

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Sorry about that. I was advised by Afterimage Gallery (Tice's main dealer). Here is the text from the email (hopefully I'm not infringing on any copyright stuff but if so, moderators please feel free to step in.

"George Tice is about to publish an incredible collector's book that's worthy of serious consideration. It's title is American Beauty, and it consists of 24 bound 8 x 10 inch platinum/palladium prints on Japanese gambi paper. The book is slipcased and measures 16 x 14 inches. Many of his classic images are included such as Petit's Mobil Station, From the Chrysler Building, Oak Tree, Strand Theater, Car for Sale and others. The book is in an edition of 75 and sells for $16,000 which will increase as the edition sells down. If the prints were sold individually at his current prices, the total for 24 8 x 10 platinums would be around $70,000!

Attached is an overall view of the book. The cover reveals parts of the photograph Graffiti, Hinchliffe Stadium, April 2005, also attached. It's a wonderful design and is being produced in Belgium. The gambi paper is sometimes called "the king of papers." This paper was even favored by Rembrandt for his etchings. It gives these prints a luscious sheen, usually not seen in platinum printing. Tice's paper is hand made by a master craftsman. Thus we have a unique collection of well known imagery by an internationally known photographer, presented in a gorgeous package and having an investment quality price. Production will start in early February."
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails TiceAmericanBeauty.jpg  

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks for the update. This is a book that I can never purchase, but it's good to know anyway. George Tice is one of my favorite photographers.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Me too. Not only one of my favourite photographers but one of my favourite printers. Perhaps my favourite. I can't buy the book either, unfortunately. Way out of my price range.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I saw this book in person yesterday at AIPAD - amazing. I heard it's up to $25,000.00 now.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Interesting. I had the opportunity to get in on the ground floor and knew it was a steal for what you get. An awesome collection. And these prints will command Ansel prices one day.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It's interesting that there is so little buzz about it. The only thing a Google search turned was this thread. I had the good fortune of studying with Tice back in the 70s. I still quote him to my classes and made a handout on judging print quality based on notes I took then. Micheal R, I'm sure you have something wonderful there.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Don't get me wrong - I didn't actually buy the book. I wish I could have, but even the starting pre-release price of $16,000 was way beyond what I can afford.

I wish I could have taken a Tice workshop. You are very lucky to have studied with him. Heck I'd pay a workshop price just to have him look at a few of my prints.

Anyhow, I'm glad you got to see the actual book. I haven't seen it in person but I'm sure it's a treasure.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin