Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,474   Posts: 1,570,979   Online: 823

Thread: HABS

Shooter
    Multi Format

HABS

I was checking out the HABS site the other day...looking at some photographs of buildings from the 1930's and came upon this New England photographer who went around taking depression era photographs of buildings - for an explanation see: http://memory.loc.gov/ammem/collecti...aer/index.html This went on throughout the country so if you're interested...check out who did that type of photography in your area...

Arthur C. Haskell was born on January 23, 1890 in Salem, Massachusetts . After high school he worked at drafting in the offices of Ralph Adams Cram and at other Boston architectural firms. Between 1910 and 1922, he taught himself the art and craft of architectural photography, using an 8 x 10 view camera. The architect Frank Chouteau Brown provided him with some of his earliest commissions, and also invited him to take pictures for the White Pine Monograph Series of illustrated essays on early American architecture. Haskell went on to provide many of the images used in that series. During the late 1920s, Haskell chose architectural photography as his profession, taking assignments from major Boston architectural firms. During the 1930s he made images for the Historic American Buildings Survey . The photography of early buildings became his specialty. He was celebrated for the beauty and clarity of his images, of which he produced several thousand. Haskell died on August 20, 1968, in Montpelier, Vermont.

Arthur C. Haskell Photographs. Visual Collections, Fine Arts Library, Harvard University
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 073885pr.jpg  

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    hi drew

thanks for posting this !

i think his early experience as a draughtsman and intimate knowledge
    of building buildings helped him greatly.
    his ability to strip structures down to their bare essentials is great ... he really allows a building's personality to shine through.

i love his photographs of the original MIT building ( the rogers building ) on boylston street.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I saw the title to this and thought the thread was going to be about hockey

Canadians will understand.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    U.S. citizens will also! I should have put periods between the letters.... John...that image is a very small jpeg. The original files on the H.A.B.S. site are outstandingly sharp...

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin