Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,877   Posts: 1,520,270   Online: 1129

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

An NPR story on Shelby Lee Adams

http://www.npr.org/blogs/pictureshow...ntucky-hollows

As the article indicates, these folks of Kentucky are "Salt of the earth" people. There's a debate whether they're exploited or some of the shots are overly posed. But I find them sincere. Enjoy!

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainecoonmaniac View Post
    http://www.npr.org/blogs/pictureshow...ntucky-hollows

As the article indicates, these folks of Kentucky are "Salt of the earth" people. There's a debate whether they're exploited or some of the shots are overly posed. But I find them sincere. Enjoy!
    I always get angry when someone brings up 'exploitation' issues viz a vis Shelby. He grew up in the hills of eastern Kentucky. He used to travel with his uncle, the only doctor around for miles, to visit these folks when he was a boy. To them Shelby is family. Besides, there's not an exploitative bone in Shelby Lee Adams' body.
    Jim

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    He has had a new book published recently by Candela Books, Salt and Truth who also published a book of photographs by a somewhat forgotten photographer, Gita Lenz. Haven't bought the Adams book just yet, but if the Lenz book is any indication, Salt and Truth is bound to be a gorgeous book. Well worth it if you are intrigued by Shelby's work.

http://candelabooks.com/

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    There is a very compelling movie about Shelby Lee Adams that is a must see for photographers or anyone interested in his work.

Apart from the strange beauty of his portraits, I think the best thing about the work is that it explodes the minds of the politically correct arts intelligentsia. They simply cannot get past the idea that this man has spent decades photographing such people, whom the PC crowd simultaneously a) claims to want to protect due to their low social status; and, b) loathes due to their low social status, perceived lack of intelligence and urban refinement.

The "exploitation" accusation is the classic Argument from Intimidation. It is not designed to encourage free thought and discussion, but rather, to shut it down.
    Parker Smith Photography, Inc.
    Atlanta, GA

Commercial & Fine Art Photography
    Portrait Photography

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ParkerSmithPhoto View Post
    There is a very compelling movie about Shelby Lee Adams that is a must see for photographers or anyone interested in his work.

Apart from the strange beauty of his portraits, I think the best thing about the work is that it explodes the minds of the politically correct arts intelligentsia. They simply cannot get past the idea that this man has spent decades photographing such people, whom the PC crowd simultaneously a) claims to want to protect due to their low social status; and, b) loathes due to their low social status, perceived lack of intelligence and urban refinement.

The "exploitation" accusation is the classic Argument from Intimidation. It is not designed to encourage free thought and discussion, but rather, to shut it down.

Spot on!
    K.S. Klain

Shooter
    Large Format
    I'll have to watch the DVD again, but I believe a point made in the Adams video is that we in our Modern Society "hide" the relatives that may be mentally retarded or even just old. Whereas in the Appalachian Society all members of the family are accepted. And Shelby Lee Adams photographs all those family members. If done by an "outsider" (eg, a Walker Evans), it might appear exploitative. But done by those who grew up or live in the area, its not (or is it?).
    van Huyck Photo
    "Progress is only a direction, and it's often the wrong direction"

Southern Forest Region, Western Australia
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    What does "NPR" stand for in this thread?

This is the first time I have heard of Shelby Lee Adams work and I admire the images located through a Google Images search
    Last edited by John Austin; 01-28-2012 at 08:54 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Too prolix

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jbaphoto View Post
    What does "NPR" stand for in this thread?
    Truth, Justice and the American Way.

Or, I guess you just mean what is NPR? Equivalent of ABC Radio National, I think. Click on the link in the OP, it'll explain itself (I'd insert a smiley emoticon here if I did emoticons).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Darn that Netflix. I have streaming only. "The True Meaning of Pictures" is only on DVD.

ann

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    It is a terrific movie.
    http://www.aclancyphotography.com

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin