Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,205   Posts: 1,531,781   Online: 892

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Batwister, bring on that "boring British town", and we will take a look!

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    These are wonderful. That photograph of the sailors getting photographed is really interesting. Thanks for the share!

Batwister, I sure hope more and more of these closet photographers get discovered, would love to see a Brit
    Andy

Kav

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by batwister View Post
    These 'newly discovered' photographers can only get worse, as everyone starts digging around their attics. Does it always have to be a great American city in the fifties or can boring British towns in the fifties also fit the bill?

No it doesn't, but what's stopping you from walking around where you live documenting life with photography?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Batwister, will this whet your appetite?:
    "The extraordinary story recounted in this book opens at a market junk stall in Yorkshire with the discovery, quite by chance, of a family collection of several hundred Victorian and Edwardian [glass] photographic negatives." That's the introduction on the dust jacket of a book I picked up in a secondhand bookshop a year or two ago. It's titled "A Richer Dust, Echoes from an Edwardian Album" by Colin Gordon, who found the boxes of negs in 1975, cobbled together some kit to print them and did a heap of research into the family and the photographer. It's a fascinating read, published in 1978 by Book Club Associates. You might be able to track it down through your local library. I see there's a copy for sale at AbeBooks.co.uk. Google throws up more.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The photographs are interesting for what they are. I do not think they are necessarily museum quality work.

San Francisco, CA | Kuching, MY | Jakarta, ID
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If I had to choose frames from the original link: 3, 5, and 6.
    Stop worrying about grain, resolution, sharpness, and everything else that doesn't have a damn thing to do with substance.

http://www.flickr.com/kediwah

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by CGW View Post
    Thinking the Vivian Maier works made a whole lot bigger impression.
    Right. Her pics were a revelation. Her tortured mind produced some extraordinary beauty in patterns of light and dark. Now everyone's digging in their uncle's attic.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by pbromaghin View Post
    Right. Her pics were a revelation. Her tortured mind <snip!>
    Please explain. Do you mind read the dead?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    other than a sense of oooh-look-at-their-funny-clothes I really don't see these making much of an impact.
    that being said, I'm sure they are keeping the best for the show, right? right?

hmmm, I wonder if those 6 negs I found in an abandoned horse-racing track in Vienna will be worth anything...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne View Post
    Please explain. Do you mind read the dead?
    Thank you, tortured was a poor choice of word and beyond what I really meant. From the bio info people have been able to gather and from statements of people who knew her, she was quite eccentric, a loner who seemed to retreat further into herself in her later years. Far from being Teddy Kaczynski, but I could see neighborhood kids calling her the crazy woman who lives down the street.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin