Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,002   Posts: 1,524,420   Online: 1020

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

Another previously unknown street photographer surfaces, Frank Oscar Larson from NYC

Saw this link on another web site about a recent discovery of a New York City street photographer from 1950's: http://gothamist.com/2012/01/27/1950...es.php#photo-1

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Another Rolleiflex user..

San Francisco, CA | Kuching, MY | Jakarta, ID
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    'They're in possession of "several thousand historic negatives hidden from sight for 55 years,"'

55 years!

What storage format could I choose *right now* that would be readable 55 years from now with just simple common sense storage?

That's right: silver gelatin.
    Stop worrying about grain, resolution, sharpness, and everything else that doesn't have a damn thing to do with substance.

http://www.flickr.com/kediwah

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I enjoy those pictures. As mention before another Rolleiflex user!

Jeff

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Enjoyed the pictures. I don't live to far only an hour or so planing to see the show.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    These are interesting snapshots of a point in time, but they don't strike me with the same feeling of greatness like some other recently discovered street photographs. Interesting nonetheless, thanks for posting it.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    These 'newly discovered' photographers can only get worse, as everyone starts digging around their attics. Does it always have to be a great American city in the fifties or can boring British towns in the fifties also fit the bill?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by clayne View Post
    What storage format could I choose *right now* that would be readable 55 years from now with just simple common sense storage? That's right: silver gelatin.
    Great point. Keep them dry and you're good to go.

Digital asset management is one of the biggest hidden costs of digital photography. Not only in hardware, but in TIME. One of my time saving goals for the year is to get another studio assistant who can sit there and take care of all that time wasting work. People think the darkroom is tedious - jeez, sitting at the computer, retouching, managing files, uploading to the lab, now that's tedious.

It's amazing how quickly you can put your hands on a negative, even in the absence of a formal filing system. Open up a binder, flip a few pages and there it is!
    Parker Smith Photography, Inc.
    Atlanta, GA

Commercial & Fine Art Photography
    Portrait Photography

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thinking the Vivian Maier works made a whole lot bigger impression.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Okay pictures, but not spectacular. However I liked the poster in one of the shots "4 poses, 25 cents"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin