Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,050   Posts: 1,561,163   Online: 825

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by CGW View Post
    No one said beans about the "lost" Robert Frank photos.
    I checked the Robert Frank link and even though i didn't say beans I appreciate the heads up
    Last edited by brucemuir; 02-24-2012 at 07:54 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SuzanneR View Post
    Should be a show well worth seeing full of provocative work.
    But provocative within reason. The article seemed to be complaining that there's a limit to how provocative you can be at MOMA.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I read the article and I got out of it that praise was heaped on her because celebrities buy her overpriced work. No different than praising Peter Lik. There; it's not a gender thing because I lumper her in with Peter Lik, (and I love nature photography.)

Perhaps it's because I'm a guy, but her photography doesn't communicate to me as well as it does to women... Or is it the fame and success that women pick up on rather than something special in the photography? Women photographers hold her in higher regard. I do wish women fame and success as there are probably more women doing quality photography than men right now.

Her provocative stuff is another thing I don't understand as a guy. I'm thinking the extra bushy sculpture looking photos you'll see interspersed among google image search results of her name, assuming you have the safe browsing turned off. The trashiness overwhelms other description to me.

I understand that film stills are a valid form of excellent photography. However, people pretending to be in film stills which are based on actors/actresses pretending to be fictional people in fictional accounts is a little too far removed from reality for me to appreciate. Most photography, even non straight stuff or collages has meaning that correlates to some sort of reality. This solid connection to reality is why journalism/documentary/nature styles of photography succeed, and why reality TV succeeds (despite it's overwhelming faults). It's a superior source of inspiration and connection with the viewer.

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Here work has always had multiple readings. I don't get how gender somehow determines relevance--i.e., "I'm a guy so it doesn't mean that much to me." Don't think that was Sherman's aim.

I'd agree with the point made in Vogel's NYT article that Sherman did help pry photography out of a deep rut and push it into the fine art realm almost 30 years ago.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Utterly boring. I never found Sherman's work attractive visually or emotionally. But maybe I am not sophisticated enough to enjoy "fine art".

Shooter
    Multi Format
    God forbid a woman is successful at making BIG art. No one seems to be complaining about the big Gursky prints ...

Just to be fair, although I'm not impressed by Sherman, I'm not impressed by Gursky either. I think it's just hype for both of them by "experts" creating buzz so they can make more money from what they sell.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Suzanne: I looked at your site and found your pictures to be more beautiful, compelling and loving than what I've seen of Sherman's. Alan.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SuzanneR View Post
    God forbid a woman is successful at making BIG art. No one seems to be complaining about the big Gursky prints or the big Anelsm Kiefer paintings, why does Sherman's work generate such ridiculous criticism? I'd say her work is about the right size, and it's NOT actually self-portraits, but an exploration of women and their roles in general. Should be a show well worth seeing full of provocative work.
    She constructs so we de-construct,

She generates controversy which in art has always been currency with added value and adding value.

She is provocative, by intent, less because she photographs, but because of her content and social contexts.

She is possibly one of the best visual riddle makers ever.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Say whatever you like, but her work certainly evokes emotion. I went to see this exhibition today. Well, actually i went to see Atget. What a bizzare combination these two. Even if they exhibitions are on different floors and not billed at all together, the curators can't imagine people won't go see them both. Anyway, i was so excited to see Atget, but left a bit flat. On the other hand,i wasn't that excited about Sherman, but left disturbed. Walking out of the museum, i decided that disturbed was more impressive.

Don't chalk it up to just size. Many of her smaller prints are actually quite excellent. My favorite was the relatively conservative and normal-sized untitled 70. Even in the larger prints, it's a lot more about aggression, ruddy female carnality, and twisted moribund characters than it is sheer size. The later in her career, the more disturbed her prints seem. Is it my cup of tea? No, but there's definitely a strength and range of talent not to underestimated. Go see it.

Leo
    "There is a time and place for all things, the difficulty is to use them only in their proper time and places." -- Robert Henri

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jp498 View Post
    I read the article and I got out of it that praise was heaped on her because celebrities buy her overpriced work. No different than praising Peter Lik. There; it's not a gender thing because I lumper her in with Peter Lik, (and I love nature photography.)
    Please. She is worlds beyond Peter Lik as an artist. Do you like any modern photographers that would be showing at the MOMA?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin