Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,677   Posts: 1,482,039   Online: 887

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    How about "like her AND not"?

Love her untitled film stills. Don't like a lot of her other stuff.

Shooter
    Large Format
    I can't believe she's still (successfully!) milking the same old idea. The film stills was a great concept, but "all self-portraiture, all the time" should not a career make.

What if all Edward Weston shot his whole career was peppers? Enough is enough.

Ed
    "I only wanted Uncle Vern standing by his new car (a Hudson) on a clear day. I got him and the car. I also got a bit of Aunt Mary's laundry, and Beau Jack, the dog, peeing on a fence, and a row of potted tuberous begonias on the porch and 78 trees and a million pebbles in the driveway and more. It's a generous medium, photography." -- Lee Friedlander

San Francisco, CA | Kuching, MY | Jakarta, ID
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Geez. Those prints big enough?
    Stop worrying about grain, resolution, sharpness, and everything else that doesn't have a damn thing to do with substance.

http://www.flickr.com/kediwah

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by clayne View Post
    That's how you make them special and not-so-boring.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by clayne View Post
    If you can't make 'em good, make 'em big!
    "I only wanted Uncle Vern standing by his new car (a Hudson) on a clear day. I got him and the car. I also got a bit of Aunt Mary's laundry, and Beau Jack, the dog, peeing on a fence, and a row of potted tuberous begonias on the porch and 78 trees and a million pebbles in the driveway and more. It's a generous medium, photography." -- Lee Friedlander

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Size counts.

Shooter
    Sub 35mm
    Images
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tumblr_lzgcl4S4Cl1r3jsrko1_500.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	60.0 KB 
ID:	46845

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    God forbid a woman is successful at making BIG art. No one seems to be complaining about the big Gursky prints or the big Anelsm Kiefer paintings, why does Sherman's work generate such ridiculous criticism? I'd say her work is about the right size, and it's NOT actually self-portraits, but an exploration of women and their roles in general. Should be a show well worth seeing full of provocative work.

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by SuzanneR View Post
    God forbid a woman is successful at making BIG art. No one seems to be complaining about the big Gursky prints or the big Anelsm Kiefer paintings, why does Sherman's work generate such ridiculous criticism? I'd say her work is about the right size, and it's NOT actually self-portraits, but an exploration of women and their roles in general. Should be a show well worth seeing full of provocative work.
    Dunno. Sour grapes? Doubt anyone even read the NYT links I posted. Too troubling, I guess. Maybe even too challenging. No one said beans about the "lost" Robert Frank photos.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin