Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,813   Posts: 1,581,566   Online: 934

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format

Mary Ellen Mark video

One of the best--and shooting film here, too. There's a bit of product placement but it's no infomercial for Profoto.

The IPA site is worth a bookmark.

http://invisiblephotographer.asia/20...llenmarkvideo/

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I like the concept of not using the preview on digital cameras, waiting to see the image at a real size. Its interesting to hear that even as accomplished as she is she still has a drive that the next image might be a iconic one.

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Chimping is an ADHD-like affliction. Have a friend who plastered black gaffer's tape on an LCD cover to stop himself doing it.

http://erickimphotography.com/blog/2...t-photography/

San Francisco, CA | Kuching, MY | Jakarta, ID
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The process of "chimping" enables a negative approach to artistic creation whereby the "artist" is consumed in a feedback loop guided by projected intent of the final "product." They no longer let the materials, process, and approach fall as they may - but instead try to overtly control the entire process. It's an entirely broken methodology.

Result? Sterile, lifeless, engineered, inorganic, crap.
    Stop worrying about grain, resolution, sharpness, and everything else that doesn't have a damn thing to do with substance.

http://www.flickr.com/kediwah

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by clayne View Post
    The process of "chimping" enables a negative approach to artistic creation whereby the "artist" is consumed in a feedback loop guided by projected intent of the final "product." They no longer let the materials, process, and approach fall as they may - but instead try to overtly control the entire process. It's an entirely broken methodology.

Result? Sterile, lifeless, engineered, inorganic, crap.
    That's a BIG tar brush. Fashion is often shot with tethered Hasselblad H cameras with the photographer concentrating on posing and set-up(just like film), not chimping. Assistants do that.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I enjoyed that. Thank you.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thanks for the link.

As far as chimping goes, who cares. Find a method that works for you. I'm not going to criticize a photographer for using Polaroids. Personally, except for maybe confirming exposure, chimping just gets in the way. But if a photographer chimps and makes great images, more power to him/her. BTW, you need to put Mary Ellen's comment in context--she is referring to students.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Thanks will watch this again.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Thanks for the link.... sharing it with my students.
    "So I am turning over a new leaf but the page is stuck". Diane Arbus

Shooter
    Multi Format
    ?"If you love it and you really want to do it then you must do it, because you'll never forgive yourself for not doing something you cared about or you believe in if you don't do it now."

Yeah pretty much. Nice video. Thanks for posting it.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin