Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,506   Posts: 1,543,493   Online: 1048

Thread: Keith Carter

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Keith Carter

Keith Carter was on Texas Country Reporter this morning. He is a Texas photographer and also a teacher. I haven't done much research on him, but here is a quote from the bio part of his website...

Keith Carter is an internationally recognized photographer and educator. Born in Madison, Wisconsin in 1948,he holds the endowed Walles Chair of Art at Lamar University Beaumont, Texas. He is the recipient of the Lange-Taylor Prize from The Center for Documentary Studies at Duke University, and The Texas Medal of Arts. In addition Keith Carter has been the subject of an arts profile on CBS Sunday Morning, and Anthropy Arts produced a documentary DVD of his work. He is the Lamar University Distinguished Faculty Lecturer, as well as being named the 2010 TSUS Regents Professor.

In the segment on TCR, Keith was shown shooting film with a Hassie - I assume a 500cm. The unfortunate, and ironic part is that he mentions he was diagnosed with ocular cancer in his left eye, which has left him partially blind. He said that everything looks dirty through his left eye.

And so he's started a new set of work, based on his left eye vision. He said that everything is interpreted as he sees it. It was really quite interesting, and I much do more research on Keith.

http://keithcarterphotographs.com/

Shooter
    Large Format
    I was just watching a wonderful video interview of Keith Carter on a Lynda.com course called “Narrative Portraiture: On Location in Texas with Keith Carter by Chris Orwig”.

Keith mentioned the ocular cancer in his left eye, and I saw him shooting with the Hassie and a strange lens that seemed to be a shorter focal length. The resulting prints were very soft and distorted, perhaps by the lens, or maybe done in his darkroom. I didn’t realize that he was making these photos to interpret his left eye vision.

That Lynda.com course was very interesting, and I think I’ll watch parts of it again. Thanks for posting this.
    —Eric

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Chris: It's too bad that his show at Photographs Do Not Bend has already ended. You would have enjoyed that.

http://www.pdnbgallery.com/Site/KEIT...TH_CARTER.html

Texas Country Reporter is a local (to Texas) show, but it highlights an artist of some sort almost every week. There have been a number of photographers from time to time and last year they did a segment on Ty Guillory, who makes wet plate cameras.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I remember that Ty Guillory segment!! And I love Love LOVE TCR! I watch it religiously every Sunday.

Shooter
    Large Format
    His Joy of Life is infectious ( as seen in his DVD). His techniques include tilting the film plane to get unusual focus effects.
    Wish him well in his treatment for ocular cancer - He's one of the good guys of our hobby/profession.
    van Huyck Photo
    "Progress is only a direction, and it's often the wrong direction"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    He has done a good number of books over the years. AnthropyArts.com featured him in one of their photographers series (about 2 hrs and 20 minutes) and it would be a bargain at twice the asking price. He will be doing a workshop again this summer at Santa Fe Workshops.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I was fortunate enough to get my MA in photography under Keith's two good eyes! I cannot say enough fine things about him.

Also look for the Texas Church Project on TCR.... a couple of our own apuggers were featured a few years ago.
    "So I am turning over a new leaf but the page is stuck". Diane Arbus

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I saw that one too Valerie!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    If you can get a copy of the DVD about his work, it is really inspiring....great stuff

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Awesome images!

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin