Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,283   Posts: 1,535,047   Online: 1081

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

19th century pictures from London

Our "Daily Mail" is at it again publishing collections of old photos. Somebody at The Mail must be really interested in photographic history as they have been publishing these collections for some time. Anyway, here's the latest. Love the "itinerant photographer" on Clapham Common with his portable darkroom!

http://tinyurl.com/buxpmoq

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	article-2123212-126906E2000005DC-471_634x427.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	86.6 KB 
ID:	48774

Can't you see, he's erecting some sort of surveillance station, and turret gun! That man is clearly a threat to national security...
    www.EASmithV.com

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera."— Dorothea Lange
    http://www.flickr.com/easmithv/
    RIP Kodachrome

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks for posting. Interesting to watch. At first I thought the water man was carrying drinking water into town using his Water Cart, before the times of general availability of running drinking water. But than I realized he is using the cart to sprinkle water on the road, see behind the cart. Guess the unpaved roads needed attention during dry summer months in London... although that slightly conflicts with the remark of the next picture "the smooth pavements of the streets have successfully competed with the placid current of the Thames"

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	article-2123212-126906DA000005DC-111_634x466.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	107.9 KB 
ID:	48776
    My website

"The nineteenth century began by believing that what was reasonable was true, and it wound up by believing that what it saw a photograph of, was true." - William M. Ivins Jr.

"I don't know, maybe we should disinvent color, and we could just shoot Black & White." - David Burnett in 1978

"Analog is chemistry + physics, digital is physics + math, which ones did you like most?"

Shooter
    Medium Format
    He is probably washing horse pee away. People quickly forgot how much urine and dung there was before the automobile.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin