Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,970   Posts: 1,523,488   Online: 880

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael W View Post
    I'd assume some type of masking device over the lens.
    That sounds reasonable. Has anyone ever seen some kind of rotating back negative holder that has masks? Could the photographers have done these vignettes on the same neg using a negative holder that had some kind of masking ability? As I think about it sounds pretty complex and I bet as you suggest, the photographer(s) were just taping cardboard with the masks cut out to get multiple non overlapping exposures per one negative
    Andy

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Well, i suppose if you had a 4x5 holder that a darkslide could slide in both sides....that's a possibility.
    K.S. Klain

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Some of these old mug shots are better than some "Professional art portraitists" I've seen.
    www.EASmithV.com

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera."— Dorothea Lange
    http://www.flickr.com/easmithv/
    RIP Kodachrome

LJH

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Quote Originally Posted by zsas View Post
    That sounds reasonable. Has anyone ever seen some kind of rotating back negative holder that has masks? Could the photographers have done these vignettes on the same neg using a negative holder that had some kind of masking ability? As I think about it sounds pretty complex and I bet as you suggest, the photographer(s) were just taping cardboard with the masks cut out to get multiple non overlapping exposures per one negative
    Revolving back would have left one image upside down.

Rotating back would have left one image inverted (i.e. 'round the wrong way/back to front).

I'm going with masking.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    ^Good theory, sounds most plausible.
    Andy

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin