Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,301   Posts: 1,536,129   Online: 845

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

1870 images from the "wild west"

Some really interesting pictures again from our Daily Mail (I wish it wasn't otherwise such a sensationalist rag).

Someone on the paper is definitely into researching old photos.

Anyway, these from around 1870 by Timothy O'Sullivan documenting the "wild west" - some really good images here!

http://tinyurl.com/ctq7534

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Beautiful images, but the article is full of errors.
    O'Sullivan did not use a "Box" camera, but usually a 20x24" camera with bellows.
    The images are not sepia toned, but are more likely albumen prints from wet plate negatives.
    There are other errors,but these are the two which hit me immediately.

Thank you for the link. The images are worth putting up with errors in the text.
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS]Films NOT Dead - Just getting fixed![/FONT]

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mr rusty View Post
    Some really interesting pictures again from our Daily Mail (I wish it wasn't otherwise such a sensationalist rag).

Someone on the paper is definitely into researching old photos.

Anyway, these from around 1870 by Timothy O'Sullivan documenting the "wild west" - some really good images here!

http://tinyurl.com/ctq7534
    Interesting post, but was it worth having to reveal you're a Daily Mail reader?

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Interesting post, but was it worth having to reveal you're a Daily Mail reader?
    It *really* is a rag. 90% of the articles have errors in them - I despair at the quality of reporting, but as its "free news" I do look in most mornings, and most mornings wish afterwards that I hadn't bothered!

However, they keep running these "old photos" stories, which not only put up some interesting images, but also, I think, educate some people into the quality that was achieved with rudimentary equipment.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    The last shot of Santa Fe is kinda mind blowing...looked so very, very different.
    K.S. Klain

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I think it's cool that they brought up these old photographs and posted them. It's a very interesting glimpse into days gone by, before we wrecked the planet.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by mr rusty View Post
    It *really* is a rag. 90% of the articles have errors in them - I despair at the quality of reporting, but as its "free news" I do look in most mornings, and most mornings wish afterwards that I hadn't bothered!

However, they keep running these "old photos" stories, which not only put up some interesting images, but also, I think, educate some people into the quality that was achieved with rudimentary equipment.
    Well, OK. Here's a link to the same article from Atlantic Monthly. It's a bit more of a high brow publication so you shouldn't feel so bad.

http://www.theatlantic.com/infocus/2...s-ago/100304/#
    Two New Projects! Light on China - 07/13/2014

www.joelipkaphoto.com

250+ posts and still blogging! "Postcards from the Creative Journey"

http://blog.joelipkaphoto.com/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I really enjoyed the link... awesome imagery!!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I always love seeing photos of the west, great set. I always wanted to have a nice large format copy of O'Sullivan's and Curtis's work depicting the peoples and lands of America at the turn of the century, but I never see them outside of large libraries or museums. I bet they have to cost a pretty penny.

Thanks for the link!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks for posting this.
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin