Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,970   Posts: 1,523,469   Online: 938

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format

TSA Page about film

Just came across this on twitter. We should all keep a copy of this when traveling with film.
    http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtrav...rial_1035.shtm
    Everybody has a photographic memory, some just don't have film.
    My Website and Gallery is at www.bcarlsonmedia.com
    My Twitter is @brendancarlson

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I frequently travel with a load of film, and never allow it to pass through x-ray equipment. But I do prepare carefully to help them be efficient, including packing it for easy inspection, and packing it for easy removal from my other carry on luggage to minimize the delay for other passengers behind me. If possible, pack all your film in one clear plastic bag at the top of your carry on, and pull it out before you get to the inspection point. When you get there hand it to them first thing and ask for a hand inspection, as you are preparing your other stuff to go through the machine.

I've never had a problem with this process, though they do sometimes ask you if you would put it through the x-ray machine. I always decline and again ask for hand inspection, and I've never had them resist when I insist.

Do watch them inspect though. One inspector in China almost opened my partially used box of 4x5 sheet film before I reached over and physically stopped her, politely saying "Bu, bu, bu, bu!" (No, no, no, no!). She nodded in understanding and stopped, thankfully.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    They all know it's safe to iso 800. None of them ever remember that the effect is cumulative.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I pulled out some printed stuff from the TSA page at LAX once. The supervisor responded with "I don't go by those rules!" No joke.
    www.vinnywalsh.com

I know what I want but I just don't know how to go about gettin' it.-Hendrix

Shooter
    Multi Format
    That's not surprising... because the thing the TSA page doesn't explain is the range of possible TSA answers when we "ask for a hand inspection".

Shooter
    Multi Format
    better be careful asking for a "hand inspection"
    Everybody has a photographic memory, some just don't have film.
    My Website and Gallery is at www.bcarlsonmedia.com
    My Twitter is @brendancarlson

Shooter
    Multi Format
    There is nothing to be careful about except potentially unrealistic personal expectations and attitude (including irrational fears).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    what I don't like is the different answers to the same question in every airport around the country. Some know a thing or two about film, others don't have a clue why you can't open the box or film holder.
    www.vinnywalsh.com

I know what I want but I just don't know how to go about gettin' it.-Hendrix

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Keeping people guessing is part of their security theory. The data about film risk is available and well understood to anyone scholarly enough to find and read it. Expecting 100% training of TSA personnel on film handling is, unfortunately, unrealistic. What they do know 100% through their training is the high-level summary of how film-safe the carry-on scanning equipment is in the vast majority of situations.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I was hoping to avoid these problems on a trip to Italy and Croatia that I am leaving for tomorrow. I thought I would save all the hassles and send my 4x5 and 120 film ahead to my first hotel. When I was done patting myself on the back for being so smart and organized I packed up the film, along with empty film holders, took them to the post office and paid the $70.00 dollars to have them shipped. So.... two days ago I emailed the hotel to make sure they had arrived and a very cheerful and helpful hotel owner told me that , yes, they had. He also told me that to save me from being inconvenienced, he went ahead and paid the 115 Euros tax.....!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I will try and straighten this out with the post office when I get there but I'm not holding out much hope. Yeah, I think I'll just deal with the TSA from now on.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin