Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,554   Posts: 1,545,007   Online: 746

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format

Roger Mayne's Street Photography

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Great stuff. Thanks for the post.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    thanks for the headsup.
    time to take a run up I-95

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Very nice, if only closer
    Andy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Great photographs. Try hanging around kids and taking photos like that today and the police get called or a mother admonishes you within minutes. Few months ago at a local playground a college-age girl with an obviously new digital DSLR was at a playground. She was having such a nice time photographing the trees in the park, the people scenes, etc. And yes some of her shots likely included some kids in them, but she was not being obtrusive or rude in anyway that I saw. All of a sudden one mother boldly and rudely went up to her and yelled at her for taking photos of her children without her permission and that if she did not stop and leave immediately she was calling the police. The look of confusion on the poor girl's face had her speechless. The girl then turned, burst into tears and quickly left the park. It was all I could do to stop myself from telling that woman off.
    -----------------------

"Well, my photos are actually much better than they look..."

Richard S.
    Albany, CA (San Francisco bay area)

My Flickr River of photographs
    http://flickriver.com/photos/rich815...r-interesting/

My Photography Website
    http://www.lightshadowandtone.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rich815 View Post
    Great photographs. Try hanging around kids and taking photos like that today and the police get called or a mother admonishes you within minutes. Few months ago at a local playground a college-age girl with an obviously new digital DSLR was at a playground. She was having such a nice time photographing the trees in the park, the people scenes, etc. And yes some of her shots likely included some kids in them, but she was not being obtrusive or rude in anyway that I saw. All of a sudden one mother boldly and rudely went up to her and yelled at her for taking photos of her children without her permission and that if she did not stop and leave immediately she was calling the police. The look of confusion on the poor girl's face had her speechless. The girl then turned, burst into tears and quickly left the park. It was all I could do to stop myself from telling that woman off.
    This kind of brings up an age-old ethical problem. Technically, doesn't that girl have every right to photograph in a public place? If she intends to publish photos of kids who are identifiable in her photos, and under age 18, she would need a consent form from a parent/guardian, I believe. But that's it. Of course, most of us don't want the grief, which is why we generally avoid these situations and miss out and some good photos.

I was in Chattanooga several months ago, photographing in the park along the Tennessee River. It was a hot day and there were a lot of parents and kids at the local fountain, running in and out of it, etc. I was using a Fed-2. I took several pictures and wasn't really too inconspicuous about it, and nobody said anything to me or gave me dirty looks or anything like that. Sometimes I think that if you're using an older, vintage camera, you get more cred.

In fact, one of those kids ended up running up to me and asking if he could use his digital point-and-shoot to take a picture of my camera. Of course I let him. I thought it was pretty funny and tad ironic.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin