Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,522   Posts: 1,543,799   Online: 778

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

From The New York Times

'Unknown Weegee,' on Photographer Who Made the Night Noir

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/06/09/ar...rtner=homepage

Ron

__________________________________________________ ________________________________________________

Sanjay Sen - APUG Subscriber
    Sanjay Sen, 36, a champion of human and animal rights, died June 3 in a motorcycle accident in Wayne, New Jersey.

July 23 1975 - June 3 2012

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________

Shooter
    Multi Format
    "Oh, darling, life's a banquet and most poor suckers are starving!" I feel sorry for todays generation and their parents who were raised in a cultural desert. I can guess the Times writer's age. Weegee is not unknown, at least to many of us. Unfortunately, western civilization has been on life support for decades.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerald C Koch View Post
    Weegee is not unknown, at least to many of us.
    I remember seeing that exhibit. The "Unknown" didn't refer to Weegee, but the exhibit of some of Weegee's lesser-known photos that were rarely published or exhibited.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The heading can taken either way. perhaps it should have been Weegee's Lesser Known Photos. I would expect better from the Times.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

I Am Assuming That The Title Of The Exhibit Was Chosen By
    The International Center Of Photography ...

__________________________________________________ ________________________________________________

Sanjay Sen - APUG Subscriber
    Sanjay Sen, 36, a champion of human and animal rights, died June 3 in a motorcycle accident in Wayne, New Jersey.

July 23 1975 - June 3 2012

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________

Shooter
    Multi Format
    In good English an adjective modifies the noun that immediately follows it. The person who came up with the title should be beaten serverely with a Strunk style manual.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    When I was about 13, I noticed an ad in the local paper saying that the great Weegee would be at a local department store on Saturday. As I was already interested in photography I went along to meet him. When I got there, I was the only one there and he was smoking a big cigar, was very talkative and spent some time showing me a Zenith camera with something like a 500mm focal length telephoto lens on a tripod, which was pointed on a view out the window. At the time I was too young to appreciate his work, but to this day I am quite proud of the fact that I had the opportunity of talking to such an accomplished photographer. Many years later I went to a Weegee photographic exhibition in Oxford and although the prints were just put up with something like drawing pins, it is the best exhibition I have ever seen.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Much ado about nothing...the title is fine with me. 'Weegee' is used not just as the person, but also as a set of photographic work...as in "I went to see a bunch of 'Ansels'."

In the article, the first paragraph starts after a series of Weegee quotes, "The imagined speaker is Arthur Fellig, better known, and very well known, as Weegee (1899-1968)." Certainly does not leave anyone guessing.

That aside, I'd love to see the show.
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cliveh View Post
    When I was about 13...
    Great story! Thanks for that.

Ken
    "They are the proof that something was there and no longer is. Like a stain. And the stillness of them is boggling. You can turn away but when you come back they’ll still be there looking at you."

— Diane Arbus, March 15, 1971, in response to a request for a brief statement about photographs

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerald C Koch View Post
    In good English an adjective modifies the noun that immediately follows it. The person who came up with the title should be beaten serverely with a Strunk style manual.
    In the world of art, an artist's name can be used to refer to his works. Not too long ago, the Chicago Tribune ran a piece entitled "Unknown Van Gogh Pops Up In Wisconsin". It was about a painting, not one of Vincent's distant cousins.

Since the exhibit has several photos, it could have been called Unknown Weegees. On the other hand, perhaps the name is intended to refer to the artist, in the sense that the photos give us new insights into Weegee himself. An example of that approach is seen in a biography of Abraham Lincoln entitled "The Unknown Lincoln".

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin