Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,851   Posts: 1,582,857   Online: 846

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Fay Godwin books

Which is the best Fay Godwin book in people's opinion. I've only just come across her work, after having been interested in black and white photography for a while now. Find it breathtaking, and would be keen to get hold of a book for inspiration, but it seems there are a load of them on Amazon. Thanks.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Sorry I can't answer your question but thanks for posting this. I've never seen her work. I really like her perspective. I usually don't care for landscapes much but I like her's. Plus she has a picture of Brede Valley. I've never hear of it but maybe I should check it out.
    --
    Kenton Brede
    http://kentonbrede.com/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    'Land' is a good introduction I think.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I like her work too. Back when Lenswork magazine used to sell artist's prints I pick up this one:

http://tsov11sim.files.wordpress.com...02/land_02.jpg

I have it framed. it's gorgeous.
    -----------------------

"Well, my photos are actually much better than they look..."

Richard S.
    Albany, CA (San Francisco bay area)

My Flickr River of photographs
    http://flickriver.com/photos/rich815...r-interesting/

My Photography Website
    http://www.lightshadowandtone.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have Land, The Edge of the Land, Our Forbidden Land, and Elmet. I'd say Land is the most accessible book. The others have a definite theme/message that the titles make fairly obvious.
    I feel, therefore I photograph.

Gim

I have one book by Fay Godwin, "Elmet". I really like the book and it comes with poems by Ted Hughes. While I like the poems, I believe I do not have a full understanding of them due to my not understanding of the English language. Thanks for bringing this up. From this one book I really like her photographic work and would like to know more about her and I'm going to jump back into it...I will figure it out...maybe.

Looking forward to comments you receive.

best
    Jim

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I would say Land is best. I have a nice limited edition that she signed for me while was at a workshop in England back in 1992. Then Forbidden Land, The Edge of the Land are fairly good. I've not seen a copy of The Remains of Elmet, but understand that is good aswell. It has more Ted Hughes poems in it also. They all have their good points, and Fay was one of my favorite photographers. Her approach was so simple and she was very good at not getting hung up on the technical details, so that she could just concentrate on creating images. A truly wonderful lady, and a shame she's gone.
    Please check out my website www.amoxomphotography.com and APUG Portfolio .....

Shooter
    35mm
    The best single volume to give a complete overview of Fay Godwin's work is LANDMARKS (2001), published to coincide with her major retrospective show at London's Barbican Gallery. The book she said she was most proud of was OUR FORBIDDEN LAND (1990) which she both wrote and photographed; it is a passionate and angry shout for our natural environment. ELMET (1994) was another favourite, on which she worked closely with poet Ted Hughes; LAND (1985) was perhaps the most noted and praised of her 18 or so books, and an ITV South Bank Show was broadcast at around that time. If possible, try to see here work in a gallery show; she was meticulous about printing and, good as many of the books are, there is nothing like seeing an original print.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    'Land' is her classic work and contains most of the images you'll be familiar with. Very quiet photographs and a book I find myself coming back to again and again. A very important photographer, in Britain at least.

I bought 'Our Forbidden Land' first and was quite disappointed. The book is politically & environmentally motivated, opening with some contradictory quotes from Margaret Thatcher - before my time, but I believe this was commonplace. The images in the book only serve to support (and I should emphasise this) a quite bloated and difficult text regarding access to the British countryside. More for those interested in the history of the countryside and walking, than studying photographers. I've kept hold of it hoping it may hold some relevance for me and my photography in the future. It certainly is an impassioned piece of work, but Land has the best selection of photographs.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Small story: in 1985 I made a backpacker tour in China with some friends.
    Ended up in Hongkong and in a bookstore found Land by Fay Godwin; have heard the name, but knew nothing about her.
    Looking into the book I just have to buy it, and it has never left me.
    I decided that once a time I just must visit some of her sites. Ten years later I rebuilt a caravan (from 1987) and 2004 I managed to make a trip from Sweden to New Castle with this caravan and spent a month going to the Lake District, Scotland and the Hebrides - great tour, all due to Fay Godwin and her book: Land!
    Good luck with Fay Godwin!
    /Bertil
    Last edited by Bertil; 07-01-2012 at 05:32 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin