Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,857   Posts: 1,583,099   Online: 928

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    This is what I was hoping for - a variety of things. I must admit Avedon is not a photographer I've spent much time on. Perhaps I'll look again.

Thomas: I've waffled on matte vs glossy in the past. I print on glossy paper, but every now and then I get into a matte zone. There's definitely a unique tactile quality to matte surfaces for me, even though the density scale is shorter.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    APUG perhaps not the right forum for this "discovery" of mine, but some days ago I happend to come across a Swedish artist/designer, Sanna Dullaway
    (http://smashingpicture.com/famous-co...anna-dullaway/), she is surprisingly good at (digitally) putting colour to old black and white icon pictures.
    I think her very sensitive colouring av Dorothea Lange's "Migrant mother" really crossed my b/w heart; for me, at least, this most impressive picture of Lange is even more impressive in Dullaway's colour version, unfortunately I must say, but I keep coming back to her version.
    Just her choice of putting some light blue to this mothers shirt, shows something about this mother and her situation that already is in Langes picture, but not perhaps seen by everyone before. I think I really discovered something with Sanna Dullaway's help!

With this photoshop technic I suppose future generation will not view our "b/w history" in b/w anymore - it will be in colour, as it always has been.

/Bertil

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Actually, the local lab that I use for medium format recently got a new processor for C41, and it's a revelation -- like every one of my MF cameras has become terrific. (And by extension, my technique is apparently better than I thought it was!)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    "The garden of dust" by Bernard Plossu.

Everyone might not be attracted by this work but I find it interesting as it pictures the American West in an unpretentious way. Prints are not small, very small, usual landscape tricks ((very)wide angle lens, heavy filtering (#25 Wratten and al.), contrasty prints) are absent, just rocks, plants (sometimes) and the sky. It is rather minimalist as if B. Plossu wanted to remove objects from the frame where most of the photographer would like to add elements to the pictures.
    To me, it is very relaxing, as if someone would quietly hike across Monument Valley or Canyonland NP and take very simple and natural shots. No rush, no stress, just the photographer and the landscape. This approach seems to be easy but it is more a state of mind than anything else.

take care.
    Last edited by Dali; 07-09-2012 at 10:01 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Medium Format

Shooter
    Medium Format
    The colourized images are astonishing. Thanks for that.

Also, as I've just used it for a few of the colour photos, this is a recent discovery - http://www.tineye.com/ - very useful for those photographs you don't recognise.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Last Saturday I sat in on a masterclass by Binh Danh at the ACP in Sydney. He currently has work in the Sydney Biennale. He is known for printing images onto leaves, but also showed some of his impressive daguerreotype images. I had been meaning to try Anthotypes for a while and I think this will hasten that process.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Her name came to mind, and it only took a quick search to find...

http://www.imogencunningham.com/page...print=3RAR1669

Beautiful, vintage prints are only a click away.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Been going the old screw mount rangefinder route lately after the acquisition and fixing of a canon vit and a vt, and I'm starting to feel that lenses dont always have to be always pin sharp and super contrasty, the older glass performs very well and is actually quite pleasing, and handles very nicely.

And on the other hand, my continued use of my fuji gw690ii and the negatives and prints i have been getting out of it, makes me want to sell off all my 35mm gear. not sure if this is a good thing or a bad thing, as gas has already made me invest deeply into Olympus and Nikon fast glass.

Also that i want a freaking vacuum wall. how cool would that be to play with. better yet put it on its side and set on reverse, and you have a gigantic air hokey table!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    While my local library's photographic book collection tends to mostly satisfy 'Dummys for digital' types or books of Ann Gedde , every so often you might find a gem or two. On my last trip I found the book "Where Do You Come From" by Aussie Photographer Raymond De Berquelle. I have to admit that so many of the images are timeless Australian and an excellent depiction of our country from the 60's to the 90's.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin