Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,300   Posts: 1,535,834   Online: 855

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I took a free two day course on albumen printing a few weeks ago. This was something which I knew about but wasn't really interested in doing. However, I now intend to try it myself - as soon as I can afford some silver nitrate!

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I saw 2 images recently that were double exposure with a lot of motion in them, and it really got me thinking about something other than gear for a change

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Newt_on_Swings View Post
    Been going the old screw mount rangefinder route lately after the acquisition and fixing of a canon vit and a vt, and I'm starting to feel that lenses dont always have to be always pin sharp and super contrasty, the older glass performs very well and is actually quite pleasing, and handles very nicely.

And on the other hand, my continued use of my fuji gw690ii and the negatives and prints i have been getting out of it, makes me want to sell off all my 35mm gear. not sure if this is a good thing or a bad thing, as gas has already made me invest deeply into Olympus and Nikon fast glass.
    I like my old Summitar lens a heck of a lot for portraits. With a 25mm aperture the depth of field is perfect, and that lens really shines. Then I put it on a tripod and shoot Kodak TMax 100 or Fuji Acros, and do landscapes with it. It's amazing to see medium size prints (16x20) made with this lens stopped down to f/5.6 or f/8.
    Then I sometimes use my Hasselblad, which has lenses that display a fair bit more contrast, so I have to give more exposure to open up the shadows, and process with much reduced agitation in order to get a similar tonality from it.

I guess my contribution to the 'discovery' theme is that I find 35mm perfectly adequate for landscape, and while I have always felt this to be true, I'm still stunned every time I see a 16x20 come up from a tiny, but well exposed and processed 35mm negative. It's even cropped a little bit in its aspect ratio, in order to yield a 1" border around periphery of the paper sheet. And the lesson I keep learning, over and over again, is that often times it's a good idea to at least challenge 'conventional wisdom' and go see for yourself.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin