Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,200   Posts: 1,531,499   Online: 978

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images

FSA Photographers

I appreciate many of the images recorded by the FSA photographers, in particular by Dorothea Lange. But have always thought the following by Arthur Rothstein to be one of the most powerful:-

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Fa..._Oklahoma2.jpg

Any thoughts on FSA photographers and images?

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by cliveh View Post
    I appreciate many of the images recorded by the FSA photographers, in particular by Dorothea Lange. But have always thought the following by Arthur Rothstein to be one of the most powerful:-

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Fa..._Oklahoma2.jpg

Any thoughts on FSA photographers and images?
    Being the property of the citizens of the United States, I always thought one could buy a print from the National Archives but I've never actually looked into it. There's an image by Russell Lee of women plastering an adobe building in Chamisal, NM in 1940. I'd like a print of that.

Also, I can't recommend enough "The Worst Hard Times".

s-a
    I photograph things to see what things look like photographed.
    - Garry Winogrand

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by CGW View Post
    From the article:

"Many of the prints were in the public lending library until the late 1950s. Incredibly, anyone with a library card could check out an original print of a Dorothea Lange image and put it on their wall for a while. It’s easy to imagine that some were never returned."

Haha oh wow. What an interesting tidbit.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    There is a pretty good exhibit of FSA photographs at the Taubman Museum in Roanoke, VA right now.

web site: Dan Henderson, Photographer.com

blog: https://danhendersonphotographer.wordpress.com/

I am not anti-digital. I am pro-film.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by semi-ambivalent View Post
    Being the property of the citizens of the United States, I always thought one could buy a print from the National Archives but I've never actually looked into it. There's an image by Russell Lee of women plastering an adobe building in Chamisal, NM in 1940. I'd like a print of that.

Also, I can't recommend enough "The Worst Hard Times".

s-a
    The original linked Rothstein image has a 7,000 pixel file available for download from Wikipedia, which translates into a 24" print at 300dpi!

Many, many of the FSA images are available in high resolution digital(!) files at the Library of Congress website, along with a ton of other great public domain art that you can download, print and frame for your walls.
    Parker Smith Photography, Inc.
    Atlanta, GA

Commercial & Fine Art Photography
    Portrait Photography

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin