Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,978   Posts: 1,523,693   Online: 1104

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Is there any word on if he had serial #'s, or pictures of the specialized or rare equipment?
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yes he has a running log of serial numbers, except for Nikons. His business after the devastating floods was a nasty blow in itself.

I can't really see how a pricey Hassie could be easily passed off anywhere on the planet. Who else has tried it?

Facebook page.
    Last edited by Poisson Du Jour; 08-07-2012 at 07:19 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    .::Gary Rowan Higgins

A comfort zone is a wonderful place. But nothing ever grows there.
    —Anon.

LJH

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    He also emphasises that he didn't claim that it wasn't insured, nor that it was $200k's worth of equipment.

Difficult to imagine the media beating up a story; however, it appears that it does happen…(Note the sarcasm).

Shooter
    35mm
    man this sorta stuff just ain't cool. as a kid not long ago i grew up with Parish's colouring/photo books and got quite fond of them. whoever did this to him is a douche and the bag it comes in!

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Poisson Du Jour View Post
    Yes, and in Thailand, those not clued up with the real deal of cameras would happily think the various cameras and lenses were good quality fakes.
    Getting the kitty past the inquisitive eyes and noses of Customs here in Australia would be the first hurdle.
    There are plenty of used camera dealers in Thailand who would know exactly what the stuff was and be more than happy to buy it. And I would imagine it would not be as hard as you think to take it OUT of the country - if/when asked, tell the customs inspector that you're a pro photographer going overseas on assignment. Or skip the hassle entirely and pop it in FedEx/DHL/TNT off to a buddy in Bangkok/Saigon/Singapore/Hong Kong/Beijing. Done quickly enough, the serial numbers wouldn't have time to make it into any international stolen property database, if the dealer would even have access to such a thing.

ROL
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Felinik View Post
    Thieves are amongst the worst scum on the planet, no matter if it's banks, insurance companies, or simple crooks stealing bicycles or breaking into cars!!
    It certainly feels that way when you're the victim, but I think there may be a few rape and torture victims who may disagree, Inspector Javert.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by ROL View Post
    It certainly feels that way when you're the victim, but I think there may be a few rape and torture victims who may disagree, Inspector Javert.
    Hence "amongst".
    http://street-photos.net/ | http://felinik.com/ | http://www.facebook.com/jf.felinik

"The one with the most stuff when he dies wins"

Shooter
    Medium Format
    "The award-winning photographer said his publishing business went into liquidation after it was affected by the Brisbane floods." Of course, it's not a funny situation, but the author's choice of words made me chuckle.

It's very unfortunate for him, but how could you not insure that kind of equipment???

EDIT: I see on his FB page that the claims made by the author are false. Shame on the journalist.

Images
    As much as I hate paying the insurance bill and fighting them to pay up when things go wrong, when they do I am very happy for their existence. At least he was insured.
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin