Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,478   Posts: 1,571,004   Online: 877

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

BIG THEFT: Steve Parish, Wildlife Photographer/Australia

This is a terrible, terrible blow for accomplished Australian wildlife photographer Steve Parish. First hit by floods that wiped out his publishing business, then (absent-mindedly?) leaving a couple of hundred thousand dollars' worth of camera stuff in his car, on the street overnight, which was then stolen (and incredibly, not insured) .

Story on ABC News.

Shooter
    35mm
    That's a crying shame. Sure, it was a mistake to leave equipment like that in a car overnight, and not have it insured, but it being a mistake won't make him feel any less regretful. I feel really sorry for him.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Poor guy!!!
    Marc Morel
    photographie argentique!
    ------------
    http://mrmarcmorel.wordpress.com/

Shooter
    35mm
    Ouch. And to think how upset I was after my F4 got stolen a few years ago - that was $500 or so of camera+lens which I used for a hobby, not to make a living off of.

I hope against hope his kit turns up again - a lot of the stuff is likely to be quite difficult to turn over, so keeping an eye on the auction sites and letting any major 2nd hand resellers have a list of the kit and S/Ns (if recorded!) may well produce a clue. I just hope it is not junked once whoever took it realizes that there's all sorts of equipment in the loot which doesn't even look remotely digital...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Many people here on APUG have suffered theft. I had most of my equipment (two EOS bodies, three lenses, flash and camera bag) stolen on Boxing Day 2003. Nowhere near $200,000, but it was very sentimental, and that's what hurts most.

I think there was a Hassy H3 and most of the Hassy system lenses in the theft (he also has a keen analogue interest in cine). I cannot get my head around why anybody would leave such a massive amount of top-shelf equipment in a car on the street overnight. The revelation that nothing was insured is just too horrible for me to contemplate: it must be hell for the man who has criss-crossed Australia with a monster load of glass and metal. I think trying to pass off a Hasselblad H3 and uber-expensive system lenses as "unwanted gifts" at Cash Converters will be the downfall of the thieves.
    Last edited by Poisson Du Jour; 08-07-2012 at 06:50 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    It would just take one clever individual to toss it in a bag, hop a cheap flight to Bangkok, and sell it there, even at a deep discount, to more than recoup the cost of the plane ticket. And in a foreign country, it'd be more likely to pass it off as not stolen.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingCamera View Post
    It would just take one clever individual to toss it in a bag, hop a cheap flight to Bangkok, and sell it there, even at a deep discount, to more than recoup the cost of the plane ticket. And in a foreign country, it'd be more likely to pass it off as not stolen.

Yes, and in Thailand, those not clued up with the real deal of cameras would happily think the various cameras and lenses were good quality fakes.
    Getting the kitty past the inquisitive eyes and noses of Customs here in Australia would be the first hurdle.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    To them it is only the value in money. If someone stole my M2 I would be heart broken. Even if the insurance payed for another one, it would not be the same.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    35mm
    Thieves are amongst the worst scum on the planet, no matter if it's banks, insurance companies, or simple crooks stealing bicycles or breaking into cars!!

I hope the scum gets caught soon and that he get's his gear back asap!
    http://street-photos.net/ | http://felinik.com/ | http://www.facebook.com/jf.felinik

"The one with the most stuff when he dies wins"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Felinik View Post
    Thieves are amongst the worst scum on the planet, no matter if it's banks, insurance companies, or simple crooks stealing bicycles or breaking into cars!!

I hope the scum gets caught soon and that he get's his gear back asap!
    My sentiments exactly.
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin