Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,300   Posts: 1,535,973   Online: 1051

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Shooter
    Medium Format
    It's obviously a skit, I get it, but the hipster is a walking parody by default. The instagram fad is just an incidental detail in the absurdity that is hipster culture. It's just an accessory. These people have to create lifestyles for themselves marked by a facade of creativity, even when they don't have any real artistic intentions. What annoys me more is the way they hang around in aggresively pretentious cliques and are oblivious to their cliches - which they try to hide with their obscure tastes. I have a few on Facebook and every status update is philosophically trying - usually links to TED talks, their thoughts on the latest science news (science = geek chic of course) or obscure urban art. Hipster culture only seems to apply to people in their 20s, which means, thankfully, they'll probably grow out of it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    That was fantastic!

Great share.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by darkosaric View Post
    I just got crazy vision in my head: to put dark cloth over head while using iPad like when using large format cameras :o
    Wait wait wait... you're telling me an iPad with its 10" screen isn't large format!?

Oh man. And I thought I was doing so well at the handheld LF thing.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    if it'snot true now, it probably will be in a few years. I mean, what the hell, right?

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by batwister View Post
    It's obviously a skit, I get it, but the hipster is a walking parody by default. The instagram fad is just an incidental detail in the absurdity that is hipster culture. It's just an accessory. These people have to create lifestyles for themselves marked by a facade of creativity, even when they don't have any real artistic intentions. What annoys me more is the way they hang around in aggresively pretentious cliques and are oblivious to their cliches - which they try to hide with their obscure tastes. I have a few on Facebook and every status update is philosophically trying - usually links to TED talks, their thoughts on the latest science news (science = geek chic of course) or obscure urban art. Hipster culture only seems to apply to people in their 20s, which means, thankfully, they'll probably grow out of it.
    What I find sad is, among this group of people there are probably some really creative types who could be doing some great work if they would open themselves up to critique and perhaps ridicule from their "peers". But they stay in their herd where it's safe and approving. Their facade is ridiculous, and I laugh at them, but I'm sorry at their passing chances to create for themselves a true individual human life. All too soon that window closes mighty small and you're left with what might be a half-finished work.

s-a
    I photograph things to see what things look like photographed.
    - Garry Winogrand

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It's impossible to truly parody hipster "culture"; it's already of parody of culture.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin