Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,943   Posts: 1,557,682   Online: 1210

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    Hmmm. Harry Callahan? Berenice Abbott? Imogen Cunningham? Jerry Uelsmann? Margaret Bourke-White?

Most of the photographers I studied in History of Photography are not mentioned on this list.

MDR
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    They forgot pretty much all photographers of the 19th century. No Fox Talbot (father of Positive Negative), No Daguerre, No Niepce, No William Henry Jackson (the true photographer of Yellowstone), no Rejlander (father of the composite). This list is a Joke and not a good one.

Dominik

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Don't blame me

Quote Originally Posted by MDR View Post
    This list is a Joke and not a good one.

Dominik
    I think the list is biased and incomplete too.
    "Photography, like surfing, is an infinite process, a constantly evolving exploration of life."
    Aaron Chang

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by MDR View Post
    They forgot pretty much all photographers of the 19th century. No Fox Talbot (father of Positive Negative), No Daguerre, No Niepce, No William Henry Jackson (the true photographer of Yellowstone), no Rejlander (father of the composite). This list is a Joke and not a good one.

Dominik
    Well, Fox Talbot, Daguerre and Niepce kind of... invented photography. To say they influenced it would be to do them an injustice. Don't ya think?

MDR
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by batwister View Post
    Well, Fox Talbot, Daguerre and Niepce kind of... invented photography. To say they influenced it would be to do them an injustice. Don't ya think?
    Talbot influenced photography by creating the language of the medium and of course the negative/positive process. His book the pencil of nature (not the first photobook) certainly influenced other photographers. Daguerre created the first photograph of a person and together with Niepce the Daguerreotype. So not only were they great inventors but they also influenced the medium.

Bayard (one of the earliest Selfportraits and superb photographer) and Anna Atkins (first photobook) are missing as well.

Dominik

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I think Eugene Smith is terribly overrated here. #4? Really?

Alec Soth is surely more influential than many of the names here. His "I'm living a life of ennui" portraits are now a mainstay among college photographers.

Ralph Eugene Meatyard, Fredrick Sommer, Keith Carter for God's sake?! Callahan, Metzger, Lee Friedlander!! All missing.

If influential, you mean taught and inspired, those names would all be in the top ten.
    Parker Smith Photography, Inc.
    Atlanta, GA

Commercial & Fine Art Photography
    Portrait Photography

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    And what about Mathew Brady, Alexander Gardner and Timothy O'Sullivan? Between the three of them and Roger Fenton they invented wartime photojournalism. And Brady was a pioneer in celebrity portraiture. Or Eadward Muybridge? And I'm sorry, Avedon, while perhaps deserving of being on a list like this, does NOT deserve to be #1.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It's a UK publication so influences will be quite different to the US.

Beaumont Newhalls "History of Photography" was highly biased in it's US viewpoint to the extent that Peter Turner wrote a "History of POhotography" with a more European/'UK bias which was published in the UK.

So there will be big differences in opinions depending on the photo culture you've been steeped in.

I'd add Robert Adams and Robert Misrach, John Blakemore and Ray Moore quite high in that list.

Ian

Regina Canada (sounds more fun than it is)
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by ParkerSmithPhoto View Post
    I think Eugene Smith is terribly overrated here. #4? Really?
    I really like Eugene Smith but #4 is a little high. However, failing to include Bruce Davidson or Lee Miller is unforgivable; Robert Capa at 94 is too low as well.
    Once a photographer is convinced that the camera can lie and that, strictly speaking, the vast majority of photographs are "camera lies," inasmuch as they tell only part of a story or tell it in a distorted form, half the battle is won. Once he has conceded that photography is not a "naturalistic" medium of rendition and that striving for "naturalism" in a photograph is futile, he can turn his attention to using a camera to make more effective pictures.

Andreas Feininger

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post
    I'd add Robert Adams and... Ray Moore quite high in that list.
    Absolutely. Robert Adams could easily be #1 for the breadth of his influence - landscape, social documentary, street, architectural, night photography...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin