Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,224   Posts: 1,532,600   Online: 928

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Atget is missing and said to be the 'father of modern photography' and an influence on Walker Evans.
    The (younger) students I went to Uni with were heavily influenced by Gregory Crewdson.
    regards,

Tony

MDR
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    William Mortensen, Gordon Parks, as an Austrian I am missing Heinrich Kühn a pioneer of Autochrome photography. What is Rankin doing on this list. I love Fashion photography but the list has too much bias towards it. The nationality of some of the photographers has been mixed up as well.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Any list that doesn't include Matthew Brady, EO Hoppe, and William Henry Jackson is bogus. My guess is who ever came up with the list doesn't really know much history.

Kent in SD

Shooter
    Multi Format

100 most influential of all time

That's the thing with lists like this, they are heavily biased always in some way. I mean so many important and influential photographers were left out, but some like terry Richardson being on the list is just ridiculous. Besides all the ones mention by previous posters, how about Lewis hine? Or if more focused on fashion like this list is how about Lillian bassman? Flawed list, totally. And Capa being all the way down there, really?

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ajmiller View Post
    Atget is missing and said to be the 'father of modern photography' and an influence on Walker Evans.
    The (younger) students I went to Uni with were heavily influenced by Gregory Crewdson.
    How can you possibly miss Atget from this list?

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Maybe APUG database Meister can take a web poll and make our own 100 list of most influential photographers? Or maybe we could make it positive and name our top 5?
    "Photography, like surfing, is an infinite process, a constantly evolving exploration of life."
    Aaron Chang

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Let's try Dorothea Lange, Sally Mann, Margaret White, Matthew Brady.

What about Daguerre?

And for goodness sake, how could you forget George Eastmann, even if you are a Brit? Just the guy who put photography into the hands of every man, woman and child, no matter their position in life.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Another one that I would suggest possibly should be on the list is Edward S. Curtis for his photo's of native Americans
    Real men use Speed Graphics and flashbulbs.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    atget, nadar
    everyone else is just fluff

Shooter
    Multi Format
    My great favourite, Franco Fontana, Where is he???

And who is Richard Billingham, for example?

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin