Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,941   Posts: 1,585,704   Online: 1077

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Having watched/listened to stuff on photo history the ordering didn't make sense. I mean the photosecessionists way in the 70's? And I agree With voceumada about the folks left out

Shooter
    Multi Format
    A good reminder of of why I hate these types of lists.
    Avedon was famous and influential, but #1? Bullshit.
    I think it's folly to try to rank them at all.

And the omissions- my god, the omissions. I do not think the UK can possibly be that provincial.
    I think the name of that publication should be "Professing to be a Photographer"
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by batwister View Post
    Surprised Bill Brandt was mentioned and Michael Kenna wasn't. Admittedly, Kenna only has an influence on amateurs.
    I've seen Mr. Kenna's work at the Smith Gallery in Santa Fe. It's beautiful; if only I could afford a print. That being said, I also view his work as a sort of emulation phase that a lot of photographers go through on the way to finding their own voice, much like Ansel Adams and Ralph Gibson are emulated. I can live with that, but why doesn't anyone emulate Les Krims?

s-a
    I photograph things to see what things look like photographed.
    - Garry Winogrand

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The list is a rediculus construction.
    Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it. - Paul Strand - Aperture monograph on Strand

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    In my opinion, I have never reelly been a huge fan of Cindy Sherman's photograph's of train's so in that category, O Winston Link would get my vote and in addition, some of her tonalities leave me wanting for more, so for intimate landscape work, my hat's off to Paul Caponigro. I spent some time with Harry Callahan and I asked him, "Oh great one, what is the secret, what F-stop should I use?" and he replied, "The secret is to not read anything about photography and to study history..." Certainly, that seems to apply to this list.
    "To have a fine idea is nothing special...But to develop the idea well and make something great of it, that is the hardest part--that is art!"
    Antonin Dvorak

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Does having a park named after you count as influential? If so then I'd add Jacob Riis. And a +1 to Gordon Parks.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by lxdude View Post
    ... Bullshit. I think it's folly to try to rank them at all.
    Agreed. These sorts of lists are always crap, without exception. Just a way to fill a few empty pages and get people arguing pointlessly over a question with no answer.

MDR
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Riis certainly is important and influential without him no concerned photography. The list is also missing the most important photographer of the 19th century the first photographer who made millions with his work, and the first photographer who brought photographs to the masses André Adolphe Eugene Disdéri the inventor of the cartes de visite.

Dominik

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by fastw View Post
    Who compiled this list?
    Maybe there really aren't any non English speaking, non Jewish photographers.
    Would you like to defend your mean-spirited comment?

There are a significant number of photographers on the list whose first language is NOT English, and the majority of those listed are NOT Jewish.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Benoît99 View Post
    Would you like to defend your mean-spirited comment?

There are a significant number of photographers on the list whose first language is NOT English, and the majority of those listed are NOT Jewish.
    Non English speaking and non Jewish members might disagree with you, and why do you think it's mean spirited?

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin