Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,552   Posts: 1,544,918   Online: 878

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

100 most influential of all time

Would any APUGers would like to change the order, remove or add photographers to this list?

http://www.professionalphotographer....rs-of-all-time
    "Photography, like surfing, is an infinite process, a constantly evolving exploration of life."
    Aaron Chang

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I must admit I didn't know that Elliott Erwitt who's work I've admired for many years is French, I thought he's American, I love the sense of humour in much of his work.
    Ben

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    [QUOTE=benjiboy;1396669I love the sense of humour in much of his work.[/QUOTE]
    Me to. My kinda of ironic, wry sense of humor
    "Photography, like surfing, is an infinite process, a constantly evolving exploration of life."
    Aaron Chang

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I would have included Berenice Abbott and Dorothea Lange on this list, and probably not had as many fashion photographers so high. But it's an interesting list and makes me want to take a look at some of these photographer's work again.

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Images
    "Most influential"? To who? in what respect?

This is a baaad list to me - yes - there's a lot of photographers I'd add - and quite a few I have never heard about..

Any photographer that that misses Sally Mann - or Josef Sudek is flawed....

or what about Drtikol - Josef Koudelka - Ruth Bernhard -Jan Saudek - I don't get it...

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Perhaps the most influential of all: George Eastman. Though we don't remember him for his photographs, his influence was profound.

Missing, also, Matthew Brady, Timothy Sullivan, Atget, Margaret Bourke White, Dorothea Lange, ... all the National Geographic and Life Magazine photographers, etc.

Regina Canada (sounds more fun than it is)
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Ansel Adams is 23th and Cindy Sherman is 14th? Look at a 1000 Flickr pictures and tell me who is the more influential. Notice this is not about the greatest, which is very subjective, but about influential which is even more subjective. I bet if the magazine was published in New York or Tokyo, it was be a radically different list.

Andre Kertesz should be at the top (HCB said he did nothing that Kertesz didn't do first) and some of the exceptions (especially women photographers) shows me this is to sell a magazine, not to actually provide any meaningful thought.
    Once a photographer is convinced that the camera can lie and that, strictly speaking, the vast majority of photographs are "camera lies," inasmuch as they tell only part of a story or tell it in a distorted form, half the battle is won. Once he has conceded that photography is not a "naturalistic" medium of rendition and that striving for "naturalism" in a photograph is futile, he can turn his attention to using a camera to make more effective pictures.

Andreas Feininger

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Who compiled this list?
    Maybe there really aren't any non English speaking, non Jewish photographers.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Surprised Bill Brandt was mentioned and Michael Kenna wasn't. Admittedly, Kenna only has an influence on amateurs.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Influential doesn't always mean universally excellent. Which is why Cindy Sherman is high on the list. If you look at flickr stuff, she is influential... I still don't know why. Maybe lotsa women art teachers like her or something.

I'd say Clarence H White is missing from the list. He was a well respected photographer at the time of pictorialism and went on to teach the who's who of modern photography. Influential in more ways than making images.

I'm also surprised there is no Karsh on the list.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin