Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,954   Posts: 1,522,798   Online: 972

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

NPR story on Edward Curtis

"Photography, like surfing, is an infinite process, a constantly evolving exploration of life."
    Aaron Chang

Shooter
    Large Format
    Thanks for the link! Looking forward to reading the book. It's about time someone wrote a good bio on Curtis..

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I am looking forward to the biography as well. He was a master. I have his beautiful portrait of Chief Joseph hanging above my desk.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    I was in a room last week with about 20 original Curtis photogravures..Very nice.

Shooter
    35mm
    I just finished this book and enjoyed it from beginning to end. In addition to learing about Curtis and his work, the reader also learns a lot (much of it discomforting) about the American Indian as they were in that period. A striking takeaway from this book is how someone who contributed so much to the fields of photography and anthropology, who was known world-wide at the apex of his career, who sacrificed his family, home and a successful business in pursuit of his goal, could die penniless and in almost complete obscurity. A lesson to all with a singular passion.

Couple of things to note about this book. There is very little discussion about equipment and technique. Again, it's about the man and his singular vision. Each chapter concludes with a small selection of photographs relevant to that section of the book; those wanting a more complete visual survey of Curtis's work will need to look elsewhere.

As an aside, anyone with an interest in Curtis who is near or passing through the Seattle area may want to stop by the Flury & Company gallery on the corner of 1st and Jackson (Pioneer Square). Among other things, they specialize in Curtis's work. Besides gravures they also have a number of Curt-tones (gold tones, orotones) on display -- these are truly remarkable, and pictures don't fully convey the 3-dimensional nature of these works. (I have no affiliation with Flury & Company. I came across them while looking for some local Curtis work after reading the book.)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Jim - thank you for the book review - i am waiting for my copy.
    PBS had a really nice documentary about him many years ago and I wish they would show it again.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin