Switch to English Language Passer en langue franÁaise Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,750   Posts: 1,483,830   Online: 1086

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format

Looking for an unknown 50's Drive-In Photo

A while ago, while I was eating at a Fridays on the road, I became fascinated with a particular Black and White photo that was hanging on the wall. However, I did not see the photographers name listed nor have I ever seen it listed in any reprint gallery. However, the photograph is so remarkable it is hard not to believe that it would be well known.

The photo was a black and white shot at what appeared to be a 1950ís drive-in movie theater. In the left foreground was a teenage couple in an old style convertible watching the movie, and there are a few other cars and couples in the shot which capture the feel of the scene. On the movie screen was a image of a rocket or plane, and in the distant right, upon a railroad line that bordered the theater was a steam locomotive. (If I remember right it was the articulated type). One amazing thing about the photo was trying to figure out how it was shot. It looks to be a night scene, but the shutter was fast enough to freeze a moving locomotive.

Anyway, Iíve been looking for this photo for a long time, and just wondered if anyone knew anything about it.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    That's an easy one... try O. Winston Link

http://www.linkmuseum.org/link_posters.htm
    www.mutmansky.com
    B&W photography in Silver, Palladium, and gum bichromate.

lee
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I believe Michael nailed that one down

lee\c

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by lee
    I believe Michael nailed that one down

lee\c
    Shouldn't that have been "railroad spiked it"
    "Just because nobody complains doesn't mean all parachutes are perfect."

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thatís the one. Canít believe I waited this long to post the question. Maybe if I had asked sooner I could have gotten a print for Christmas.

Anyway, Thanks alot Michae!!!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by captainwookie
    One amazing thing about the photo was trying to figure out how it was shot. It looks to be a night scene, but the shutter was fast enough to freeze a moving locomotive.
    From the looks of it it was a time exposure with a powerful flashgun illuminating the locomotive. No telling how much burning and dodging that took unless he had a graduated ND on the lens.
    Gary Beasley

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Quote Originally Posted by glbeas
    From the looks of it it was a time exposure with a powerful flashgun illuminating the locomotive. No telling how much burning and dodging that took unless he had a graduated ND on the lens.
    Gary,

This could hardly be further from the truth. Winston O' Link used dozens if not hundreds of magnesium flash bulbs in huge reflectors for each of his night shots of trains. He was a master of noir lighting. Usually there wasn't much dodging or burning to do. The tricky thing about the this particular shot, the one with the jets shown on screen at the drive in, is that they were added later by literally cutting and pasting the image on to the screen. The print was then rephotographed to produced the final negative. I was quite surprised to see the cut and paste job on the original master print.

Don Bryant

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by donbga
    Gary,

This could hardly be further from the truth. Winston O' Link used dozens if not hundreds of magnesium flash bulbs in huge reflectors for each of his night shots of trains.
    Sometimes one or two thousand flash bulbs were used. I don't know how he coordinated it all. Like the Drive-In shot, often the train would be a good distance away from the camera and that was where the flash bulbs were set up. Maybe he opened the lens then his assistant touched off the bulbs at the right instant.
    Semper Fi & God Bless America
    My Photography Blog

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I think it would be fun to try some of his lighting techniques just to see the results. This guy had to be thinking way ahead of the game to come up with this. Do you know off hand how many takes he had to do on this style of shot on the average? I get the feeling it was done in a minimal number of tries.
    Kinda reminds me of what we have to do to light large rooms and pits in caverns.
    Gary Beasley

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by glbeas
    I think it would be fun to try some of his lighting techniques just to see the results. This guy had to be thinking way ahead of the game to come up with this. Do you know off hand how many takes he had to do on this style of shot on the average? I get the feeling it was done in a minimal number of tries.
    Kinda reminds me of what we have to do to light large rooms and pits in caverns.
    Don't know how many times he had to stage a particular shot Gary. I have heard one story where the lady that owned the Hotel where he was staying tried to get him run out of town after the two thousand flashbulbs went off shorly after midnight, and that was the first test of the setup. She was convinced that Link was some kind of Devil Worshipper. I heard Link always stopped by and got aquainted with the local Law officers before he started work. That and the commission from the railroad kept him out of trouble.

Gawd, where would one come up with several hundred or several thousand flash bulbs these days?
    Semper Fi & God Bless America
    My Photography Blog

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  ó   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin