Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,953   Posts: 1,522,764   Online: 967

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

nude photography recommendations

OK so I've been interested in nudes lately. I do not know much about this subject but I would like to start by observing some work of the "great" photographers, if there are any. Similar to the status of HCB for street, Avedon for Portraits/fashion, etc. I don't mean to copy their work because that would be boring. I would just like to understand this subject a bit better, perhaps adapt some concepts.

So far I like the work of herb ritts, so I was wondering what are some other photographers that are similar to this. With nudes, I'm not so much into erotic but something more graceful.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by puketronic View Post
    I don't mean to copy their work because that would be boring.
    No, that would be a starting point. Look at the nudes by Andre Ketesz.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I don't know about graceful,but I've always liked Bill Brandt.A different take.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    have a look at Jock Sturges' work

Shooter
    35mm
    Oh and I don't mind nude photographers with different styles. I might change my mind.

I didn't like wide angles but then I stumbled upon Jeanloup Sieff (21mm shooter). I like his nude work too, but for different reasons. My tastes change.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've always thought of Ruth Bernhard as the Ansel Adams of nudes. Maybe others see her differently.
    Charles Hohenstein

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    In one weekend several years ago, I saw nudes from Lee Friedlander and Edward Weston - VERY different. I doubt I'll ever shoot nudes, but seeing the difference was interesting. I agree that looking at ones you don't like can help you to figure out why you don't like them and what to avoid doing.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Graceful, abstract or interpretive? Stylised, straight or textbook? Masters may make it look easier, but the biggest problem I have observed is photographers not getting along with nude models. The photographer should also be a nude.

Try photographing either gender by a window with venetian blinds and the sun coming through. If you like zebra strikes, this simple and effective nude/interpretive/abstract affect has many, many angles to explore. Very especially with dark-skinned subjects.
    .::Gary Rowan Higgins

A comfort zone is a wonderful place. But nothing ever grows there.
    —Anon.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    several years ago
    a fellow named frank petronio posted
    in a similar thread on the large format photography forum.
    he suggested the perspective nude photographer
    go to a school art class, and model nude
    for a life drawing class.
    he does a lot of nude photography with models &c
    but posed for a class so he could know what that sort of vulnerability
    was like, because posing nude for a camera is exactly like that.

good luck !
    john

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Irving Penn, Harry Callahan, Alfred Stieglitz, Edward Weston, Bret Weston, all have great nude work.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin