Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,285   Posts: 1,535,083   Online: 1174

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

Somewhere to Disappear

Thought I'd share this. I watched it last night.

Somewhere to Disappear

I know that there are Alec Soth fans here, so I figured you guys may want to watch. You can rent it for $4, or buy it for $10.

It was fascinating.
    No idea what's going to happen next, but I'm hoping it involves being wrist deep in chemicals come the weekend.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I enjoyed the video. I'm going to get it.

Jeff

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thank you Stephanie!
    Looks very good indeed.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Us Minnesotans are very proud of Alec, and this looks very interesting. Thanks, Stephanie!
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Just bought it and downloading it now. Thanks Stephanie.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    No problem. I've been watching a lot of videos on photography, both older and modern, while waiting for time to shoot.
    No idea what's going to happen next, but I'm hoping it involves being wrist deep in chemicals come the weekend.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Funny, I've just been watching some talks with him on YouTube. It's taken a while, but I think I'm coming round to his work.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Watched the film last night, enjoyed it, although quite unsettling in parts. I found it interesting when he talked about the ethical problems of his photographs, saying how his subjects just craved the human contact.

From a photographic perspective, the way he moved the bedding and shelf unit in that cave dwelling, almost impulsively, was... interesting. I'd feel uncomfortable doing that for a photograph myself (the truth/lies conundrum) - it seemed more interesting and inhabited in the state it was. On his website, the only interior image featured of that place was of the hangers in the corner - http://alecsoth.com/photography/wp-c..._08zl0215c.jpg - so I wonder if in the end he did feel as though he'd taken too much of a liberty, moving everything around. Part of me feels he was playing up for the camera (video) doing that.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin